Ford 3000 stalling

/ Ford 3000 stalling #1  

Digdirt

Tractor
1969 Ford 3000 Gas
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and to the ups and downs of older tractor ownership. I bought a 69 Ford 3000 last winter to clear my driveway and to put in some food plots. Yesterday I graded my .75 mile long driveway with no problems, but when I went to give my wife her first ride on "the other woman", it stalled out on me. Plenty of fuel flowing through fuel filter, turns over fine, but won't start. Let it cool down for an hour or so and still no luck. Fuel dripping from Holley carb. I'm a novice when it comes to engines, so any help would be appreciated.

/ Ford 3000 stalling #2  
Welcome to TBN:welcome: Repost this in the Ford Forum

/ Ford 3000 stalling #3  
I always recommend starting with the ignition system. The dripping fuel can be a result of long cranking times or multiple start attempts.
Make sure you have a good spark (FAT AND BLUISH WHITE, the color of lightning) To do this, remove the coil wire from the central poition in the cap and hold the end near a good ground.(DON"T TOUCH THE END OF THE WIRE!) Try a start. You should see a big bluish white spark. If it's yellowish or reddish blue, your spark is weak. IT has to be FAT and BLUISH WHITE. If it's not, make sure the points are clean( not oily, corroded, or burn't looking), and properly adjusted for gap.

If the spark is fat and bluish-white, then most likely the problem is in the fuel system i.e. a dirty carb.

/ Ford 3000 stalling #4  
Don't check for spark while there is gas dripping.

I would guess your carb is filthy and the idle jet is clogged. Need to rebuild and clean carburetor more than likely. Add Marine grade (blue) Stabil to fuel to counteract this.

/ Ford 3000 stalling
Thanks, guys. My hunch was with the fuel system since it stalled out while running. When I tried to restart unsuccessfully my wife suggested the ignition system (which caused me to focus entirely on the fuel system!). The truth will probably settle out to be both systems are in need of attention. So my next forum question will probably be "How do you avoid telling your wife she was right?!"

/ Ford 3000 stalling #6  
More points for telling her she WAS right. Points are useful.
Jim

/ Ford 3000 stalling #7  
untill you check spark ( fast / easy / free ) i wouldn't waste a single minute checking fuel system...

/ Ford 3000 stalling #8  
My system, which I believe is the same as yours has a filter on the outlet side of the holley carb. If that is clogged (small brass mesh filter) then I imagine it could be causing fuel to back up in side the carb. My setup has 3 filters: bottom of the gas tank, inline before the carb and this one going out of the carb.

Take your carb apart carefully, one of the gaskets is very unique and my kit didn't replicate it correctly so I had to re-use the old one, and it would have been a pain to cut out of gasket material due to the close lines.

/ Ford 3000 stalling #9  
I agree with Jerry and Soundguy. Check your spark first.
Verify that you have a bright bluish white spark that will jump a good 1/4".
Short or yellowish spark will not do.

100_03871.jpg

/ Ford 3000 stalling #10  
How is the bottom end torque/lugging power of your 3000?