Front PTO speed on Ford 1710

/ Front PTO speed on Ford 1710 #1  

muzzy123

Tractor
ford
Does anyopne know what the rpm's are on the front PTO on a 1710. I am thinking of changing my front mount 715A snowblower to a rear mount. I have read posts stating that it turns much faster than the rear 540 PTO but i also have read where the 715A blower comes in front and rear 3pt mount. I just installed a Coldwater FEL on the tractor and there is no way i am taking that on and off every fall. If i cant use the Snowblower on the rear i will sell it and buy a rear mount blower.

/ Front PTO speed on Ford 1710 #2  
RPM's are but one issue, the other is direction of rotation. Most front mounts are opposite rotating from rear units.
Also the majority of front mounts are driven off of the engine crankshaft hence rotation is wrong as well as RPM's.
An exception is where the front mount consists of a long ladder like underslung frame that is driven via a gearbox from the rear PTO.
That underslung rig reverses direction and matches up to the PTO.

/ Front PTO speed on Ford 1710
I looked at the blower closer and the impeller turns clockwise to throw the snow up the chute which would be the same as the rear PTO rotation.

/ Front PTO speed on Ford 1710 #4  
I went to a tractor data site which showed that the 1710 did offer an optional front PTO which seems to be your case however they did not list the RPM's
Your remark that rotation is clockwise is a positive sign and I'd suggest if the splines are the same as rear PTO then the odds get better.
The data site did show a 60 in. rear blower and for the front they listed a 62", that worries me a bit.
If you have the owner's manual it should tell U the frt output RPM and if 540 then you'd be good to swap ends.

/ Front PTO speed on Ford 1710 #5  
Not specific to your tractor, but other front PTOs I've looked at were 1:1 +/-. Should be easy enough to figure out by pulley size? Or, were you talking about a mid-PTO ...... which will probably be somewhere around 2000 RPM. Seen gearboxes online for front to rear, or rear to front adaptation with 3:1 ratios. Does the blower have a gearbox on it where the input shaft goes into it? If so, this should make your conversion fairly easy.

/ Front PTO speed on Ford 1710 #6  
Generally, a small front/mid PTO shaft on a tractor will spin at ~2100RPM.
On a garden tractor (such as a 3000 series Cub Cadet or a Bolens) it will usually run at engine speed (~3600 RPM).

Aaron Z

The 1710 has a front pto with a pulley on the end. The blower itself has a gear box on it. The blower gearbox is connected to a short shaft like is used on the rear PTO to a large wheel directly under the PTO Pulley. The pulley and large wheel/crank are in turn connected by a chain. My guess would be that the larger wheel acts like a reducer to slow down the front PTO rpm's. Would this assumption be correct?

/ Front PTO speed on Ford 1710 #8  
The 1710 has a front pto with a pulley on the end. The blower itself has a gear box on it. The blower gearbox is connected to a short shaft like is used on the rear PTO to a large wheel directly under the PTO Pulley. The pulley and large wheel/crank are in turn connected by a chain. My guess would be that the larger wheel acts like a reducer to slow down the front PTO rpm's. Would this assumption be correct?

I would say this is correct, but is there any chance you could post up a couple pictures ? I would wager your blower is set up to run at 540 at the input shaft of the blower. The reduction is either taking place in the gearbox @ the input on the blower or the chain / sprockets. I think some pictures of it would clear all that up.

I would say this is correct, but is there any chance you could post up a couple pictures ? I would wager your blower is set up to run at 540 at the input shaft of the blower. The reduction is either taking place in the gearbox @ the input on the blower or the chain / sprockets. I think some pictures of it would clear all that up.

Thanks for all the replies. I would post pics but i have the whole thing disassembled for painting. I found a previous post where the dealer said that the purpose of the chain/sprocket was to reduce the speed to 540. I guess thats why they are saying that the 715A blower was the same front or rear mount, the only difference is the mounting kit. I attached photos of the tractor and Coldwater loader if anyone is interested. I will post pics of the blower once its finished.

Attachments

• tractor 1.jpg
    tractor 1.jpg
    996.4 KB · Views: 5,810
  • tractor 2.jpg
    tractor 2.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 2,899
  • tractor 3.jpg
    tractor 3.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 2,025