1984 1710

/ 1984 1710 #21  
My 1710 has only the spin on at the back of the operator station. My filter always gets dented within the first year of installing it because it is right at my heel and spin on filters are not made of the heaviest steel.

/ 1984 1710
My 1710 has only the spin on at the back of the operator station. My filter always gets dented within the first year of installing it because it is right at my heel and spin on filters are not made of the heaviest steel.

Thanks Creamer, That is what I was hoping to hear. The Wix filter (51736) that I just installed appears to have a stronger metal case that the older one. It even has a sheet metal nut tacked on to the end for ease of installation or removal. Some people complain that their filters are in "tight" places where the normal oil filter wrench doesn't fit.

/ 1984 1710
So I looked at both manuals again and the factory manual only shows the spin on filter. The FO44 manual found at stores like Tractor Supply show the 1710 filter being in a totally different spot, they show it up by the motor. Well obviously ours are by the rear axle and that book is just wrong.

The factory manual is a good book with lots of info but the FO44 has more detailed info. In my opinion a person that is going to do self maintenance/repairs needs both books.

Thanks Mike,

I will be looking for those manuals. I think the "manual" that I ordered is not going to be a manual at all. I think it is the same "parts catalog" diagram that I already found (for free) online in PDF format. (311 pages)
So today I am going on a road trip up through some big farm town communities. I don't have to drive this time so I get to loooooook hard for possible tractor goodies. Albany GA here I come.
Kent B.

/ 1984 1710
Well I made it back from Georgia. We stopped in at:
Lasseter equipment co.
1000 VETERANS:pow-mia: PARKWAY
MOULTRIE, GA 31788

They had a row of John Deere 7760 cotton pickers out front. There must have been at least 12 maybe 15, some used, some new, at :dollarsign:$600K and up. :dollarsign: I guess I don't need anything like that.
However, I did make a couple of other stops along the way. I did see a Ford 1700 and as I expected the main hydraulic line runs from the front back to the right hand side where it bolts on to the rear differential. Just like in the pictures here on the forum that is where the screen is located.
In comparison to the 1710 where the hydraulic line runs straight back to the left side where it connects to the spin on filter.
I am satisfied with the consensus that there is no screen. I will be happy to alter my belief if anyone ever explains that I have made an erroneous conclusion.
No. I didn't buy anything. One day soon I will visit the NH dealer which is a ways east but still in Florida. It looks like I will dish out some money for something new unless I have found a suitable alternative before then.
Anyways, It was a nice road trip. Lots of corn, peanuts, and cotton fields to look at.
Kent B.

Oh I almost forgot. There is a big show there in Moultrie every year call the SUNBELT EXPO.
I hear that it is quite a big deal. Supposedly they will let you drive a million dollar tractor around if you feel the urge to do so.

/ 1984 1710 #25  
When you have a spin-on filter there is no need for a screen. Your spin-on filter in my FO-44 says it is on the left side of the engine, in plain view. Older 1700 tractors don't have a spin-on. The screen does the filtering inside the rear right side. Your tractor doesn't need both so it has the spin-on.

/ 1984 1710
When you have a spin-on filter there is no need for a screen. Your spin-on filter in my FO-44 says it is on the left side of the engine, in plain view. Older 1700 tractors don't have a spin-on. The screen does the filtering inside the rear right side. Your tractor doesn't need both so it has the spin-on.

Thanks for the input rayikeo2. Hopefully, after my hydraulic seal kit arrives, I will be ready to accomplish my last goal as far as servicing the hyd. system. Wheels and tires are progressing slowly. Slowly due to the fact that I am trying to make the most economical improvements.

Thanks to everyone !!

/ 1984 1710
Well, the seal kit is not what I expected. There is no seal in there that looks like the one that I have seen in the pictures here in the forum. The part number for the correct one looks like:
SBA050309012
It is in the diagram for "Lift Cover"
There are a bunch of 0-rings in the kit so maybe I can make use of them down the road.
I have my finger on the button to order the New Holland part from one of the online tractor supply dealers but I feel like I am getting raped when I order a seal that shouldn't cost more than a couple dollars but they make me pay $19.00 plus they want $10.00 for shipping.
If I still chewed tobacco I would spit some Beechnut in the dude's eye. Here is where I am shopping now: Alma Tractor & Equipment, Inc. (online)
Anybody have a better place to order NH parts online?
I robbed these pictures from another thread to use as a visual aid.
LIFT PISTON SEAL 1.jpgLIFT PISTON SEAL 2.jpg

Anyway I look at it I guess I am going to have to pay $30.00 including shipping. That's a shame.
I found another place: messicks.com but the final price is about the same.

Last edited:
   / 1984 1710 #28  
I just bought a 1710 as well. Any chance we can get some pictures of yours?

With the screen it was one or the other, never both. So if you have a filter, there is no screen.

Are you looking for a copy of the owners' manual?

Hope you have good luck with your tractor. They are very good machines, although some replacement parts can get a bit expensive.

/ 1984 1710
I just bought a 1710 as well. Any chance we can get some pictures of yours?

With the screen it was one or the other, never both. So if you have a filter, there is no screen.

Are you looking for a copy of the owners' manual?

Hope you have good luck with your tractor. They are very good machines, although some replacement parts can get a bit expensive.
Pleased to meet you. Thanks for the reply.
I broke down and ordered this manual from Amazon.com(Manual Fo-44) [Paperback]
By: Intertec Publishing Corporation

All the fluids have been changed along with the filters. Fuel filter "element" is going in tonight. The see-through bowl was dark and the element was well over-due for replacement. Same thing with the fuel level tubing on the fuel tank. It was black. I popped a fresh clean tube on it yesterday. Now I can see how much is in the tank.
Overall the tractor had been somewhat taken care of. It was parked under cover. Rust was limited to the wheels mostly. Front wheels are hard to find with the 3" center hole.
I am looking for some front bumper weights also.
I will look for some pictures before I stated taking it apart. Nope! but here it is during clean-up.

My 1710 is in pieces because I am giving it a full work-over.

tractor2.jpgtractor1.JPG

ROPS is on my wish list.

/ 1984 1710 #30  
ROPS is on my wish list.

I'm actually glad mine didn't come with ROPS. I completely respect the safety features it provides and my Kubota has them, but I do a bunch of my farming under cold frames (unheated greenhouses) and ROPS tend to catch the hoops. Was one of the reasons I looked into a second tractor.

I'm glad to see you taking the time to clean up the tractor properly. They are great machines but you need to care for them so they will last.