1984 1710

/ 1984 1710 #3  
Welcome brother 1710 Owner!

/ 1984 1710
Thanks for everyone who has contributed to this tractor site.
I have been reading and will continue reading the loads of information that all of you have provided here.

I am a first time tractor owner with little to no tractor knowledge. I like mechanical things and diy maintenance.
The tractor I have recently acquired is a 1984 Ford 1710 2wd with power steering. I have no FEL or ROPS.
Implements that came with my tractor include:
WOODS brush cutter
Bush Hog harrow
Box Blade
Plow
Scoop
broadcast spreader.

The tires hold air but are cracked all over. I am shopping for new or used tires on craigslist and retail sites.
The wheels are rusted at about 25% overall. I plan to sand them down and repaint during the tire replacement process unless I can find a new complete set with tires and rims included.

I drained the engine oil and will refill today along with a new oil filter. Am charging the battery and cleaning the surfaces with WD-40 assisted with my air compressor spray nozzle.
I have ordered a CD version of the 300+ page manual but do not have it yet.
I ordered a new muffler and air filter.
I also want to repaint the hood and fenders.
Nothing appears to be rusted through or irreparable. She runs smooth, the PTO and other hydraulics work fine. I did a test run with the box blade yesterday. What a wonderful tool. Who knows how many hours it would take to do the same work with a hand held garden rake.
I am happy to be a new member here.
Thanks again,
Kent B

/ 1984 1710 #5  
What kind of rubber are you looking for? Ag, turf or industrial? Since you have a 2wd you will probably need ag tires if you are going to do any pulling like the plow or heavy digging with the box blade.

What kind of work are you planning?

/ 1984 1710
What kind of rubber are you looking for? Ag, turf or industrial? Since you have a 2wd you will probably need ag tires if you are going to do any pulling like the plow or heavy digging with the box blade.

What kind of work are you planning?
I think I will go with the Ag tire. It seems to be the best choice for what I will be doing which is box blade, plow, harrow, and mowing.
I thought about turf tires but I don't think that is the best choice.
Are inner tubes common or more like an exception in combination with ag tires? I have heard that you can get a little more life out of your tires if you have tubes in them.

/ 1984 1710
After I cleaned the hood I don't think I need to paint it. The grill is salvageable. I have it soaking in the third and final "naval jelly" coat.
I have to go spray it off now dry it out and put a coat of white paint on it.

I will work on the fenders later.