TC35 inner air filter black inside

/ TC35 inner air filter black inside #1  

navyjoe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25 and L2501
I am trying to fix a intermittent los of power on my tc-35. Changed out the fuel filter first and that did not fix it.

Decided to change out my air filters next and was really surprised to find a black coating in the INSIDE of the inner filter. The outside was clean, but the inside looked like it has a coating of black soot!

Is that normal?????

/ TC35 inner air filter black inside #2  
I don't think that is normal at all. It might indicate a leaking intake valve that is spewing back into the air filter. That definitely could be the reason you are losing power. I'm not a diesel expert, so it could be something beside a leaking valve, but you know it has to be something coming from the engine and is not normal for the intake.

/ TC35 inner air filter black inside
Thanks. I didn't feel to good about it when I saw it. I don't have my manual handy, but wonder if there is a valve adjustment due? It has 1027 hours on it. Up until now I assumed it had hydraulic lifters.

/ TC35 inner air filter black inside #4  
I changed the air filter on my TC35A two days ago. It had about 200 hours on it. It definitely did NOT have a coating of black on the inside.

/ TC35 inner air filter black inside #5  
In my opinion, the only way you get gunk inside a filter is to have an intake valve leak under compression (or during the ignition inside the cylinder). The exhaust valves would leak to the exhaust manifold, not the intake. I suppose it could be the crankcase vent since I think later engines routed it to the intake instead of venting it out to the atmosphere. I'd pull the dipstick to see if the crankcase was venting/puffing when the engine gets warm. If it is not puffing pretty good, I'd forget the crankcase possibility and go back to checking valves. The easiest thing might be to pop off the valve cover and check the valve adjustment (cold engine) to see if you have one too tight. Normally, exhaust valves burn, but you might have a defective intake valve that is broken or burned so it doesn't seat properly. Just my random thoughts. . . .

/ TC35 inner air filter black inside #6  
Do not know if this applies , but my old truck , ( Freightliner classic 2003 model ) had 2 air filters on the outside of cab , towards rear of hood . These actually flowed opposite direction , in other words , they pulled air into the center of filter then it past through filter to outside of filter and into intake , thus filter would look clean on outside but dirty inside .

Fred H.

Thanks to you all. I'l start some troubleshooting and get back or repost with some repair questions.

600 hours between valve adjustments acording to maintainence schedule.

Since I bought it with 650 hours on it I have no idea if it was done. I suspect not, and if not its 427 hours overdue. Many diesels go a long time before going out of specs. Don't know about this little diesel engine. Guess it time to do some digging in. If I'm lucky it just needs adjustment. :mur: