TC 35D back from shop....should I be satisfied??

/ TC 35D back from shop....should I be satisfied?? #1  

LabLuvR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
I sent my TC35D to the shop because the tractor was pulsating,lift arms would not hold the implements up when the tractor was turned off, with the implement lowering knob turned all the way closed. I was out of town when they brought it back. So yesterday, I got on it for the first time. The pulsating is almost non-existant, but the tractor still will not hold my JD MX6 bushhog when the tractor is turned off. It doesn't appear that the implement is lowering nearly as fast as before,but it will still sink to the ground. According to the invoice, they replaced two O rings and one back up O ring. Is this the best I should expect, or should the tractor hold the implement forever? If the repair was not as it should be how would you handle this with the shop? Also, could there be another issue as well, beside the O rings?

Thanks!

/ TC 35D back from shop....should I be satisfied?? #2  
I don't have a TC35D, but I do have the TC35A (12x12) model. I try not to leave implements in the air when I turn off the tractor because I have 3 boys. I have let my 6' bush hog raised off the ground over night a couple of times by mistake. My tractor will hold it off the ground (not drop) overnight. It sounds like your hydraulics are leaking in some way. It sounds like they almost fixed the problem, but not 100%.

I don't think a tractor can hold an implement forever, but I would want the hydraulics to hold as well as possible. Who is to say that the leak won't get worse at just the wrong time? Maybe drop an implement on something or someone?

Jim Inman will probably give you some good advice. He is the TBN guru for these TC series tractors. In my opinion you do have cause for concern. I would raise the safety issue with the dealer.

/ TC 35D back from shop....should I be satisfied?? #3  
LabLuvR, you surely know now that you should have discussed what to expect once repaired with the shop manager before getting the repair done. I think you may have expected better performance and the shop manager probably thinks it is sufficiently sealed. I cannot find any specs for how fast the 3PH should drop with the engine off. It stands to reason that they would not publish a spec like that because you expect hydraulics to hold. . . period. I know I've seen tractors like these on dealer's lots with round bales on the 3PH and lifted for weeks at a time.

You did not say if you had tested the 3PH with the lift rate adjustment turned to minimum since the repair. One thing you have in your favor for arguing is that the operator's manual says:

"The flow control valve must be opened before the hydraulic lift control will lower. If the valve is turned all the way "IN" (clockwise), the lower links can be raised to maximum height, but cannot be lowered."

The manual clearly says the lift "cannot be lowered." If you turn your valve closed (IN) and the arms lower, then it is still leaking slightly. Of course, it might take awhile for the new seals to take a set. If the dealer tells you that, then try it for awhile and see if it improves.

One thing remains. Even when you have the drop rate valve closed all the way, it could be leaking a tiny bit or the emergency relief valve could be leaking. That valve is not supposed to open until the pressure gets up to 3555 psi plus/minus 290 psi. This is a valve inside the lift cylinder to protect it in case something drops on your lift. I would think the repair you paid for should have included checking that valve to make sure it is clean and the seat is not damaged.

So, in regard to your question, you have not said how long the 3PH takes to lower your MX6. Does it take an hour? half-hour? several hours? You've obviously seen improvement, but there just seems to be some disparity in your expectations and the dealer's service manager. Communications at this point will surely be more tense than they would have been before the job was completed. Timing is everything. Good luck with it. I hope it seats in and becomes good as new for you.:)

/ TC 35D back from shop....should I be satisfied??
Jim,

I would like to say yes to the prior discussion, but I didn't because I have never had a problem with the dealer. The bushhog from the highest point would probably take about three minutes to touch the ground.

I just spoke with the service manager and he said it held fine when they went to lunch after the repair. He said I may have a leak at the safety valve, but they did not notice a problem with it when it was in the shop.

There is no doubt the problem has gotten better since it came back from the shop, if it gets worse then I will probably just replace the safety valve myself. I really don't see any of this to be a big issue so I'll just keep an eye on things.

Thanks once again.

/ TC 35D back from shop....should I be satisfied?? #5  
It doesn't appear that the implement is lowering nearly as fast as before,but it will still sink to the ground.

The piston is assembled with the O-ring on the pressure side and the Teflon washer on the connecting rod side. If the installation is reversed, the hydraulic fluid will deform the o-ring past the o-ring gland on the piston. If the o-ring is deformed past this grove it will hinder the movement of the piston.

After repairing my lift cylinder there wasn't any change in the lowering speed nor does the cylinder leak down.

Mike

/ TC 35D back from shop....should I be satisfied?? #6  
I agree that this is a problem. But why would you want to leave you implement raised?? It seems to me that this is putting undo pressure on the hydraulics for a sustained period of time. Maybe this is why the problem developed?? I always make it a point to lower anything on the 3 point hitch when I finish my work.