Tires Mixing ag and turf tires?

/ Mixing ag and turf tires? #1  

stevesuny

Tractor
Ford 1720
I recently bought a Ford/NH 1720 with turf tires. The front tires are pretty well shot, not much tread left at all. I was thinking of replacing the front ones only with ag tires. Has anyone done this? I'm hoping to get better traction in both mud and snow.

(The rears are ok, but not great; one of the rims has a lot of rust on it, probably from the calcium chloride being used to fill the tires).

Last edited:
   / Mixing ag and turf tires? #2  
You are replacing worn out ag tires with new ag tires? I agree that you will get better traction once replaced.

/ Mixing ag and turf tires?
whoops - i edited my post now - i have *turf* tires currently, and am considering replacing the front only with ag tires.

/ Mixing ag and turf tires? #4  
We ran a Massey Ferguson 375 like that for many years, had it set up that way by the dealer, when the Ag's wore out we replaced them with new ones. We now have Industrial tires on all four.

/ Mixing ag and turf tires? #5  
whoops - i edited my post now - i have *turf* tires currently, and am considering replacing the front only with ag tires.

I don't know why you couldn't do it, like TripleR said.

The only thing I'd be sure of is to keep the new front tires sized correctly. That is, the diameter of the new ags for the front should be the same, or very close to, the diameter of the original turfs for the front. On 4WD tractors, the front and back tire diameters are important to keep sized correctly, relative to each other.

/ Mixing ag and turf tires? #6  
I don't know why you couldn't do it, like TripleR said.

The only thing I'd be sure of is to keep the new front tires sized correctly. That is, the diameter of the new ags for the front should be the same, or very close to, the diameter of the original turfs for the front. On 4WD tractors, the front and back tire diameters are important to keep sized correctly, relative to each other.

Yes very important point, we ran ours that way from 1986 until last year with no issues.

/ Mixing ag and turf tires? #7  
I have a 1720 which came with OEM turfs and they were not matched very well. I experimented with tire pressures attempting to reduce the driveline binding.
The front turf tires are too large in diameter for the rears and putting Aggs on the front would make this condition even worse. Driveline windup would be severe; also replacement front turf tires are expensive and have weak sidewalls.
I experimented with tire sizes and found a radial auto tire that was a perfect match which eliminated driveline windup.
Give me a day and I will check the tire size you need...
Give me the size of your front & rear turf tires to make sure we are talking about the same sizes.
Again do not install Aggs on the front with turfs on the rear!!!
90cummins

/ Mixing ag and turf tires? #8  
I checked the size of my turf tires;
I checked my turf tire sizes,
Fronts were 25X8.50-14
Rears are 13.6-16
If your tires are the same as mine I suggest the following;
I installed (2) 195/60R14 radial snow tires which eliminated binding, they are also cheaper and higher quality.

90cummins

/ Mixing ag and turf tires? #9  
I also replaced front turfs with auto tires of the same diameter. They are working fine and I seem to have a lot less problems now.

/ Mixing ag and turf tires? #10  
I would think the ag tires would sink into the dirt more than the turf tires, so they would act like slightly smaller tires. But, it is good to try as close of a match as possible. Typically one doesn't drive in 4x4 mode on a hard surface.

Check your rears. I would not run Calcium in a tubeless tire. It should be ok with a tube, but does make a bit of a mess. Beat juice is supposed to be fine in a tubeless tire.