Backhoe 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off

/ 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off #1  

ppopp1618

Tractor
Ford 555
Hi new to the form. Trying to get the starter off. How do I get to the third bolt and do I need to take off the fuel pump to slide out the starter? My starter has both battery cables going to it. I would like to short out the selenoid but not sure which bolts to bypass it. With the key off there is a full battery voltage at the terminals on the starter. When trying to start the voltage goes down to almost nothing. Is that normal? If I can try the starter while its on the unit I could rule it out or know it needs replacement. I believe the unit is a 1980-1983. Its just a 555 no letters after it. 3 cyl diesel. Its at such a bad location I can't even make out what connections are on the solenoid. I do not have the shop manual. I really could use some help. I have serviced this baby for 11 years, I would hate to have to pay someone to come fix it. I don't have many qualified ford guys around me and the one gets $00 just to show up.

Thanks,

Phil

/ 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off #2  
Voltage drop like that can indicate either a massive draw by the starter motor or a bad battery cable connection somewhere along the way. To remove the third bolt, use the following: 9/16" 6 point 3/8 drive flex socket, 6" long 3/8 drive extension and a ratchet. The injection pump doesn't have to come off to get the starter out. it may be helpful to remove the fuel filter so you can better see/feel what is going on. Replace at least one of the other two bolts while fussing with the third one; that keeps the starter in place.
if you have another loader available to lift your loader up and securely prop in the raised position, things get much easier to deal with. Above all, be safe.

/ 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off
Thanks, any idea what to short out on the solenoid to verify it is the starter? Guess I will give it a try again today. Will have to buy a flex socket, don't have one of those.

Thanks,

Phil

/ 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off #4  
The signal wire from start circuit is a spade terminal on the top front of the solenoid, just inboard of the positive battery cable post. The wire comes from behind the starter and plugs on from the front side. It's usually about a 12 G wire, white with a red stripe. Solenoid has a male spade, can be either a standard size or the larger size depending on starter make. Hard to see among all the crud, and even harder to reach, especially with framework in front. Removing the fuel filter will help a lot, but it's still not easy.

/ 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off #5  
Hi Phil, did you have to remove the fuel injector pump to remove the starter? I have a ford 555a backhoe and was able to remove the old starter by taking it all apart in pieces, but can't put the new one back in because it hits against the fuel injector pump. Would appreciate any help from anyone...Thanks

/ 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off #6  
Hi Phil, did you have to remove the fuel injector pump to remove the starter? I have a ford 555a backhoe and was able to remove the old starter by taking it all apart in pieces, but can't put the new one back in because it hits against the fuel injector pump. Would appreciate any help from anyone...Thanks

Never had to remove the IP to R&R the starter on ANY 3 cylinder Basildon built Ford engine. Period.

/ 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off #7  
You just need the right 3/8 ratchet and combination of extensions and or deep socket. Starter will come out without removing anything else.
Leave the top outside bolt tight untill last.
Helps to hold your mouth just the right way.

/ 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off #8  
Quick note to all I have / had the same problem after many busted fingers here is what worked for me:

Get a 3/8" or smaller drive to get the bolt off closest to the block , leave the top outside one in, remove the fuel filter, then you have to get the Solenoid off theres 2 phillips screws and if an original Lucas M50g there is a nut that holds the Solenoid to the starter remove that. Then you can wiggle the Solenoid so that it clears the injection pump point the teeth end of the starter straight down and pull the starter up and out , will share my results of putting a new one on when the part gets here

/ 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off #9  
Quick note to all I have / had the same problem after many busted fingers here is what worked for me:

Get a 3/8" or smaller drive to get the bolt off closest to the block , leave the top outside one in, remove the fuel filter, then you have to get the Solenoid off theres 2 phillips screws and if an original Lucas M50g there is a nut that holds the Solenoid to the starter remove that. Then you can wiggle the Solenoid so that it clears the injection pump point the teeth end of the starter straight down and pull the starter up and out , will share my results of putting a new one on when the part gets here

Way too much to go through. I use s 9/16" 3/8 drive flex socket, 6" extension, ratchet. Done.

/ 555 starter how do I get the third bolt off #10  
depending on the starter you have there are some lucas m50's that will not clear the injection pump period without removing the Solenoid but to each their own