Tractor
    TC40 16LA FEL w-QT & 758c BH

Default BH Control Breakage??

Did a search & couldn't find anything on this. The BH control levers (on a 758c BH) activate small ball joint fittings which then activate the hydraulic control flow rods (which are themselves connected to the hydraulic distibution block beneath the controls). The fitting has a small stud coming out of the ball (which is in a socket at the end of a rod attached to the control lever plate) which runs through the flow control rod (held on with a nut). You can see the way they work simply enough by lifting the rubber cover.

Question. I have broken several of these fittings since getting the tractor (the only failure/breakage since buying the tractor - 125 hrs on it). Is this endemic to the design, or, am I just too hard on the control? The reason I ask is that in ordering replacement parts yesterday I ordered only one extra. If it's in the design maybe I should order a half dozen - they're easy enough to replace if you have them on hand. Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks.

JEH

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Default Re: BH Control Breakage??

You might try taking your extra new one, to Granger or some other industrial supply place to try an match it up with a heavier duty version of the same thing. I know when looking at catalogs, that they have several different versions and prices.

Tractor
    NH TC-33D

I agree with Jerry. We use those and you can buy a heavier one that will last much longer. As for what's happening, I would think that you're a little heavy handed, but it should be designed to withstand a little extra strain than required to operate the controls.

We sell many of these backhoes every year. I have never had the linkage break that you are talking about I dont even stock the part.

Tractor
    2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader

I have had a part break in the control mechanism of my 759C.

The problem I had was with #13.

It is just a 1/4" bolt by 2" long (I think). I used a grade 8 bolt and it seems to last longer. In the begining I was breaking them often. Mostly on the right control (dipper and curl). Once I got a little better with the controls the less often I replaced them. As someone mentioned heavy hands on the controls [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. I haven't replaced any in 2 years now.

Tractor
    TC40 16LA FEL w-QT & 758c BH

DavidJ:

<font color="blue">I would think that you're a little heavy handed </font>

Ah, yes. Don't doubt it. In fact my favorite tool in the tractor toolbox (as it was in my old farmall I sold when getting the NH) is a 2 lb. blacksmith mallet. Spencer200 is (I guess) a dealer and says he hasn't had to replace them, so, you're no doubt correct. The suggestion (&amp; JerryG's) to look for heavier duty is good. Will do that when get parts in Tues.

Roski:

Thanks for drawing (have that, but no scanner here). The part I was referring to is #11 in drawing. Havn't had part #13 break (yet). Maybe will pick up spare (or higher # bolt) for that too. The control is easy enough to fix IF you have a part handy. Maybe I should just keep the spares in toolbox so always have one handy! You mentioned the 759 BH - wish I'd been able to get that on the TC40. The 758c is ok but just a bit short on reach and strength. On the other hand, it's a whole lot easier than me with a pick, shovel and wheelbarrow!

Anyway, thanks for the feed-back. Guess the answer to my question is the part may be a little weak, but it's more my ham-handedness that is the problem. Thanks again.

JEH