Tires What size tire?

/ What size tire? #11  
I cannot jack up the front but I have a friend who may be able to do it for me. How much will it cost me to get the tire replaced? I think it is tubeless, because the air is coming out slowly through the tiny hairline crack on the surface of the side of the tire. But what do I know?

It might be tubeless, but it might have a tube with a small hole in that spot or somewhere else which is leaking between the tire and tube and exiting through that crack...hard to say.

I recently paid $70 for a new tire and tube for my Farmall A, but I had to install them. I think they were 5.00x15's so a bit smaller. This is up in Canada so the parts might be cheaper, but you are looking at labour to reinstall although that is quick.

But like Gale said, I would look at getting it patched or you could find a used passenger car tire where the tread has worn down to unsafe limits for car use. You could ask the tire shop if they have anything old or used they would mount on your rim for a bargain.

/ What size tire?
Very very helpful, guys. Thank you. A friend just recently got his two front tires replaced on his John Deere for $250. I'm not sure I want to put brand new tires on my 40 year old tractor lol!

/ What size tire? #13  
I'm not sure I want to put brand new tires on my 40 year old tractor lol!

The Farmall A I put those new tires on was over 60 years old now, it all depends on the condition of the tractor, not so much the age. ;)

/ What size tire? #14  
I cannot jack up the front but I have a friend who may be able to do it for me. How much will it cost me to get the tire replaced? I think it is tubeless, because the air is coming out slowly through the tiny hairline crack on the surface of the side of the tire. But what do I know?

if you don't even have a jack.. sell the tractor now. this is an ez fix.

partially dismount tire.. doesn't even have to come full off the rim...... stick a patch inside tire to cover damaged area / protect tube .. put in a new tube.. or patch the tube if it is new and you are low on cash.... remount tire onto rim being carefull to not pinch tube with tire or irons.. and make sure the tube valve sticks out the hole in the rim. capture it with a valve fishing tool.. or a clip on air line holder like from a tire pump.

as mentioned. tire can be anything from 5-6.5 and S/L/T series.. or a truck tire.. might find a tube..might not on a truck tire.. etc. I'd tube it if it did not have a tube...

/ What size tire? #15  
You very well might be best off to take both fronts to a used tire dealer, and get some 225/75r16 load d or better E

Around here that's about $25-30 per tire, about another $5-10 per to mount (no need to balance), total price less than $75. If you are able to spend $200-300 you could easily get two brand new 3 rib fronts.

Right now on eBay, $192 buyout gets you two 7.5-16. 3 rib With tubes shipping might be ~$25-50, and a independent type tire Guy/trailer shop will mount them for probably less that $30. Total price for 2 bran new tires, shipped, mounted on your rims, about $272. Good to go for another 20 years

Last edited:
   / What size tire? #18  
It's a tiny "crack" in the tire maybe a centimeter wide and less than an inch long. Can I fix it or do I need to buy a new tire and what size do I get?

Is that 1cm x 1in, or 1mmx1in?

A cm wide crack is pretty large for a front tire. A mm would be reasonable for moderate to severe weather checking.

If it is still holding air, it can probably be patched, assuming the problem is with a tube. However, if it has very bad weather checking, I'd probably go ahead and get new tires.

For vehicle tires, I've been watching Craigslist for narrow 16" tires for some time for a pickup project. They do show up occasionally, at least around here. But, not that frequently. Perhaps I'll see them once a year or so. I think I did eventually find a pair of 6.50x16, and four 6.00x16 tires, for about $25 each. Otherwise, new vehicle tires can be rather spendy, and not necessary.

There is also a temporary tire, T155/90D16, 60PSI. You might be able to score a couple very very cheap at your local junkyard. Perhaps $5 to $10. I certainly would consider them for occasional light field & yard use with a tractor, but not heavy brush use, or lots of tractor use. Perhaps as a temporary stop-gap measure.

Anyway, if you have patience, and want car tires, just keep your eyes open. If you need AG tires, then you may also find them on Craigslist, or at your closest Tractor Breaker (also probably has rims). But, you may be best off just going to a local tire store and buying new. You may have troubles finding good, super-narrow ag tires.

Ahhh... here are some numbers.

For "new" vehicle tires, 6.50-16, $124 to $143
Tornel Hwy 6 Ply - 650-16 - Military & Truck - Tire Applications
STA Super Transport - 650-16 - Truck - Popular Tire Applications

6.00-16 $181
Firestone Knobby Truck Tread Blackwall - 600-16 - Truck - Popular Tire Applications

New Tractor tires are much cheaper, and perhaps easier to find.
5.50-16, $60
6.00-16, $62
FarmTireStore.com

Anyway, talk to your local tire store before buying them online. They can probably source them for you at a similar cost, and they will much prefer mounting their own tires.

I got a 4.00-9 tire from my local store. It took them about 1 day to find it.

/ What size tire? #19  
Any local garage that does tires should have some 'good, used' lying around.

/ What size tire? #20  
Hey guys! I have an old Ford 3000 tractor that I use to mow my back field. I inherited it with the house I purchased last year. The front right tire has a slow puncture in the side of it. It's a tiny "crack" in the tire maybe a centimeter wide and less than an inch long. Can I fix it or do I need to buy a new tire and what size do I get? Thanks for your time!

The standard equipment front tire size for a Ford 3000 is 5.50X16 but many have the optional 6.00X16. Unless retrofitted, these tires are tube type.

A new tire will cost around $65 - $75 and a tube aroound $20. A tire shop will likely charge around $15 to dismount/mount the tires, however many will mount without charge if you buy the tire and tube from them.

Remove the front wheel and take it to a tire shop that sells Ag tires, unless you have the proper tools to dismount/mount the tires yourself.

SDT