Tires What size tire?

/ What size tire? #1  

Tipptop

Tractor
Ford B 3000
Hey guys! I have an old Ford 3000 tractor that I use to mow my back field. I inherited it with the house I purchased last year. The front right tire has a slow puncture in the side of it. It's a tiny "crack" in the tire maybe a centimeter wide and less than an inch long. Can I fix it or do I need to buy a new tire and what size do I get? Thanks for your time!

/ What size tire? #2  
According to tractordata.com the Ford 3000 uses a 5.50x16" front tire. I would check what it says on the sidewall of the tire and go from there.

I am guessing the front tire has a tube and that it is leaking. You may have punctured it through the side of the tire. You can always try tire slime to see if it helps but if it is really bad you may need a new tire and tube.

/ What size tire?
According to tractordata.com the Ford 3000 uses a 5.50x16" front tire. I would check what it says on the sidewall of the tire and go from there.

I am guessing the front tire has a tube and that it is leaking. You may have punctured it through the side of the tire. You can always try tire slime to see if it helps but if it is really bad you may need a new tire and tube.

Thanks so much Creek! It's a very old tractor and I don't have a way of transporting it to the nearest service garage which is roughly 7 miles away. I know very little about tractors.

/ What size tire? #4  
Thanks so much Creek! It's a very old tractor and I don't have a way of transporting it to the nearest service garage which is roughly 7 miles away. I know very little about tractors.

Can you jack up the front and just take the wheel off to get fixed, or do you not have a good jack and stands? Some tire service centres will come to the farm to replace the tire. Would add a bit to the cost, but if that is what is needed...

/ What size tire? #5  
If it has a tube as one would expect the slime would be an option. Flat Fix I find does not work as well on a slow moving vehicle but you could try it. The other option is just air it up when you want to use it. That is a common 'solution' on old stuff.

If you have not changed the oil and filter in the engine I suggest doing that if it does not look new like too. Personally in stuff that seldom starts I may go 5 plus years between changes if it keeps looking clean but I know others who change oil even if the engine was never started for a year.

/ What size tire? #6  
Personally in stuff that seldom starts I may go 5 plus years between changes if it keeps looking clean but I know others who change oil even if the engine was never started for a year.

I know what you mean, but water can be hard to see on the dip stick unless you pull the drain plug from the oil pan, or other oil resevoirs (final drives, transmission, etc). I try to change engine oil every year, even if it gets little use, but to save money on some machines I might go 2 if it doesn't get too much rain or humidity.

Tipptop, you can check out TractorData.com Ford 3000 tractor information for some more details on your tractor. They won't have all the information you need, but it might provide you with some information that might be helpful now or in the future.

/ What size tire? #7  
LT tires were used also... Really need to read the sidewall.

/ What size tire?
I cannot jack up the front but I have a friend who may be able to do it for me. How much will it cost me to get the tire replaced? I think it is tubeless, because the air is coming out slowly through the tiny hairline crack on the surface of the side of the tire. But what do I know?

/ What size tire?
Ok, it's a Ford B3000, made in England. 2.9L Diesel engine. 8-speed. I have the original manual at home but I'm not there right now.

/ What size tire? #10  
See if they can patch it from the inside.

If they are in really bad shape due to age if you could find some newer used 6.00 x 16 passenger tires that would be an option. It is the last number that is important. They can be 5.50, 6.00, 6.50 or something similar in the newer metric numbers. They will not look as good but will keep the rim off the ground. :)

The last front tires I bought were not cheap.

A big patch on the inside (boot is an old term some used) could let you get a decade or two more life out of them perhaps. :D