New Member of the Family, My Ford 1710

/ New Member of the Family, My Ford 1710 #1  
Tractor
Kubota L3200, Ford 1710, Ford 1310, Farmall Super A (x2)
Well, we needed a second tractor in the same hp class as the Kubota L3200 to help with various tasks around the farm so we didn't always have to swap 3pt implements as well as for manure spreading. Been looking around for a while at various options and finally found this Ford 1710 and fell in love instantly.

Has about 700hrs on the meter, one owner and never had a loader so the front end is in great shape. It has always lived in the garage and the paint shows. Hopefully it gives us a good many more years of service. No remotes yet, but does have a good working 4wd.

ford1.jpg ford2.jpg ford3.jpg

With it came a very nice condition Ford 951 5' mower which will be handy for mowing the headlands and when things get away from me:eek: Front end of the tractor is a bit light with the mower on the back, but we will eventually make a better weight bracket for the front with a grill guard.

mower.jpg

One additional bit of interesting information: According to the serial plate the tractor was made in the afternoon on the day I was born...felt like a sign.

/ New Member of the Family, My Ford 1710 #2  
That is a very nice looking 1710. I too recently purchased a 2 WD 1710 with 790 hours. Mine is in great mechanical shape and sheet metal is also good but it will get needed new paint and decals. I am currently in the process of building a sub-frame for installation of back hoe & FEL. I hope you have a good experience with your new toy.

/ New Member of the Family, My Ford 1710 #3  
Nice looking 4x4 !!

Looks like you don't need anything. I can't see the muffler unless it is horizontal. If you get new weights for it keep me in mind. My 2wd needs some and those OEM types are perfect. I don't like it when the front end comes off the ground.

Thanks for sharing the photos.
Kent B

/ New Member of the Family, My Ford 1710 #4  
Very nice machine, thanks for posting!

/ New Member of the Family, My Ford 1710
Nice looking 4x4 !!

Looks like you don't need anything. I can't see the muffler unless it is horizontal. If you get new weights for it keep me in mind. My 2wd needs some and those OEM types are perfect. I don't like it when the front end comes off the ground.

Thanks for sharing the photos.
Kent B

Ya, it is a great little tractor and nothing was needed prior to using it in the field...even the oil is clean and new.

You are right about the muffler. It points straight forward from the exhaust manifold which helps with clearance issues.

I actually borrowed those front weights from a neighbouring farm who has a Ford 1900, but who doesn`t use them anymore. I think shipping though would be a little too much ;)

/ New Member of the Family, My Ford 1710 #7  
Ya, it is a great little tractor and nothing was needed prior to using it in the field...even the oil is clean and new.

You are right about the muffler. It points straight forward from the exhaust manifold which helps with clearance issues.

I actually borrowed those front weights from a neighbouring farm who has a Ford 1900, but who doesn`t use them anymore. I think shipping though would be a little too much ;)
The weights are high dollar for what they are worth but that is-what-it-is. Saw a tractor "locally" on craigslist with weights but the seller wouldn't let me buy them.
I might try to make some out of lead. I'll have to make a mold for that but It might be fun.

about the horizontal exhaust; I noticed the my air filter was totally black with soot due to the fact that the exhaust was sending it straight to the air filter. Because of that I would make sure that the tail pipe is pointing away if there is a horizontal mounting.
My manual came in (FO-44). I was glad to get it.

/ New Member of the Family, My Ford 1710 #8  
FO44 is a great little book, just don't believe where they say the hydro filter is for our 1710's.

I almost flipped my little 1710 the other day dragging a big tree branch (easier to drag them backwards with a chain vs. pushing them). The branch got hung up on a root and the back tires came off the ground and the tractor started to roll to the right. I wet myself, pushed the clutch in and it shot back forwards to my safety. I have a front end loader and the back tires have water in them so its weighted more than alot of them are. Anyways be careful on these little rascals!

/ New Member of the Family, My Ford 1710 #9  
FO44 is a great little book, just don't believe where they say the hydro filter is for our 1710's.

I almost flipped my little 1710 the other day dragging a big tree branch (easier to drag them backwards with a chain vs. pushing them). The branch got hung up on a root and the back tires came off the ground and the tractor started to roll to the right. I wet myself, pushed the clutch in and it shot back forwards to my safety. I have a front end loader and the back tires have water in them so its weighted more than alot of them are. Anyways be careful on these little rascals!
Glad you're okay.
That would be an unexpected obstacle, at least, I had not thought about it. I had been thinking about uneven terrain like hills and holes. I don't have hills but I do have plenty of big roots.
Being new to tractor work I appreciate your warning.
I think you just sold me on loading my tires after I have them mounted. Even the front (15") tires can hold a good amount of ballast. All four of my old tires had tubes and water in them. I think I will go with the same idea on my new set.
Thanks,
Kent

/ New Member of the Family, My Ford 1710 #10  
Yeah Kent it kinda scared me and I don't scare too easy. Since your kinda new to tractors its even easier to flip the tractor over backwards (front end coming off the ground and cartwheeling over). My thing was freakish since I was actually pulling the brush backwards (I would have rolled over sideways), I guess the 4wd was almost a detriment.

Have you ever adjusted your valves or do you plan on doing it? I read about it in the FO44 but I'm not too sure I'd be confident in doing it.