FEL Hose Makes No Sense To Me

/ FEL Hose Makes No Sense To Me #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
FEL hose? Scroll down, I'll get to it....

I decided to test out attaching my FEL using some advice I had seen in the past on this site. I rolled my bucket all the way to 'full dump' before I removed it. This effectively changes the approach angle of the mounting arms and did make it easier to detach and attach later on. But, I'll have to say, from my experience shopping for tractors, there is still nothing like a Deere quick attach system /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Attachments

• 310745-DCP_0565.small.jpg
    310745-DCP_0565.small.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 431
   / FEL Hose Makes No Sense To Me
The next picture shows the hose ends that attach to the control valve. See the 45 deg angle adapters !!! Those drive me nuts. They make it very difficult to attach the hoses to the valve. They seem to serve no useful purpose other than to make hookup more difficult AND they place extra strain on the hoses !!

Attachments

• 310747-DCP_0566.small.jpg
    310747-DCP_0566.small.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 362
Here's the loader about to go back on the tractor.

Attachments

• 310748-DCP_0567.small.jpg
    310748-DCP_0567.small.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 348
Here is a shot of the hoses. I have wrestled them into attachment position. You can see that they are twisted and STRAINED into an awkward position. I can put them on with the 45 deg angles up, down, or inward. All choices have their problems.

Attachments

• 310749-DCP_0568.small.jpg
    310749-DCP_0568.small.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 342
The loader is now installed and the hoses have twisted themselves into an upright angle. You can see that the angle serves no beneficial purpose other than to put allot of pressure on the fittings. You would think that you could remove the hoses, turn them 90 deg and reattach with the 45 deg's pointing down. But, this would require loosening the hoses at the attachment points on the FEL to be able to turn the hoses.

Attachments

• 310750-DCP_0569.small.jpg
    310750-DCP_0569.small.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 290
I know. The obvious response is to replace the hose ends with straight ones. That way, the hoses would be able to rotate in the quick connect fitting and the hoses would always be in the right orientation. I have to loose a few inches from my hoses as it is necessary to have lots of extra hose when backing away from the loader. But, one day, when I have lots of spare time on my hands and the local shop is open, I'll get them set up the way I want them. I wonder if my dealer put those silly things on there or if NewHolland did it at the factory?

/ FEL Hose Makes No Sense To Me #7  
Jerry,
Are the 45 angles removeable?

The 45's are part of the 'crimp-on' hose ends. The hoses will need to be cut and new ends without the 45 angle will need to be crimped on at the hydraulic shop.

/ FEL Hose Makes No Sense To Me #9  
What about changing the hoses end to end? Does both ends have the same threads?

/ FEL Hose Makes No Sense To Me #10  
I've never understood why they put the 45 deg connectors on them either, mine aren't quite as bad as yours but still the straights would be better. The only reason I can think they use them is that the loader fits so many different machines that one or more need them and they do work on ours without too much trouble so we're stuck with them.