Are the NH mechanical hour meters able to be turned back by the cable?

/ Are the NH mechanical hour meters able to be turned back by the cable? #1  

PsRumors

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
When I purchased my TZ I knew it had been neglected but am now wondering if it has many more hours on it than what the meter shows. Today in doing my PM the RPM / hour meter cable was found to be loose at the engine. Now it is possible the vibrations of the engine loosened it but it has to make one wonder.

Soooo, will the hour meter turn backwards if the cable were turned in reverse by a drill?

/ Are the NH mechanical hour meters able to be turned back by the cable? #2  
I think it would be doubtful if it could go backwards by the way they are made but I suppose its possible (for the record I have no earthly idea about them). But here's something alot more possible, maybe they had it dissconnected all together?

/ Are the NH mechanical hour meters able to be turned back by the cable?
It couldn't have been disconnected all together as it will drip oil from that spot, which is how I found it loose.

Well, the answer is no. I went ahead and disconnected the cable, put my drill to it and nothing.

/ Are the NH mechanical hour meters able to be turned back by the cable? #5  
Well, the answer is no. I went ahead and disconnected the cable, put my drill to it and nothing.

Did you break all together now.

/ Are the NH mechanical hour meters able to be turned back by the cable? #6  
New hour meter sometime in its life?

Did you break all together now.

No, just spun it backwards and nothing happened. Would imagine the hour meter works only in one direction, as does the tach.

New hour meter sometime in its life?

I doubt it, the cable was tight at the hour meter / tach was just loose at the engine.

/ Are the NH mechanical hour meters able to be turned back by the cable? #8  
When I purchased my TZ I knew it had been neglected but am now wondering if it has many more hours on it than what the meter shows.

Does it show hours by "pto speed"?
My B7610 does. I can work it for 10 hours well under "PTO" speed and it will only show a couple.

/ Are the NH mechanical hour meters able to be turned back by the cable? #9  
how long did you spin it with the drill??

I dont know how fast that turns with the engine running, But engine running at PRO RPM (prolly around 2500), it would take 6 minutes for it to even advance 1/10 on the meter.

/ Are the NH mechanical hour meters able to be turned back by the cable? #10  
If its a mechanical meter it can be "adjusted". Back in the day there were guys who made a business of turning back speedometers for used car dealers. The mechanical parts inside are basically the same. Don't know the degree of difficulty not seeing the meter. Just take a look at the meter if it is assembled with screws then most likely it could be easily "adjusted" by disassembling and reassembling with the digits rearranged.