Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot

/ Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot #1  

TheMaintenanceMan

Tractor
Ford 1300, JD 855, JD 310B, NH 655 turbo
Hello everyone, I have a Ford 1300 diesel tractor that is leaking hydro oil from the right hand shifter boot. I looked up the diagram and noticed there was a seal and spring under the transmission plate. If I replace this seal do I need to remove the transmission plate; also what else would need to disconnected? I removed the boot and the cap with 2 philp head screws already. If there is previous thread with this infomation please let me know. Thanks for your time.

The Maintenance Man

/ Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot #2  
Hello everyone, I have a Ford 1300 diesel tractor that is leaking hydro oil from the right hand shifter boot. I looked up the diagram and noticed there was a seal and spring under the transmission plate. If I replace this seal do I need to remove the transmission plate; also what else would need to disconnected? I removed the boot and the cap with 2 philp head screws already. If there is previous thread with this infomation please let me know. Thanks for your time.

The Maintenance Man

Yes you do, as you need to take out a cutter pin. Do make sure not to lose detent springs and balls. You have a rubber cap on the top side also that might not be tight. if you are careful you can save and reuse the rubber gasket. The cover on my 1700 is cast aluminum.

JC,

Last edited:
   / Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot #3  
I also have a 1300 with the same problem. Well, that and the alternator is shot.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

/ Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot #4  
Reviving an old thread. I have a Ford 1500, 1979 with the same problem as described above. I am going to have a go at it.

I've been told I have to clean or replace the hydrauic filter and the input screen as the hydraulics are slow and was making a creeching noise, . I believe I know where the filter is, is the screen going to become exposed when I take the filter out?

Any help would be appreciated!

/ Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot #5  
612rob, pretty sure the 1500 and 1700 are the same, ther is no filter, just the metalic screen on the suction line (feeds the hydraulic pump). When I bought my 1700, the screen was almost clogged and started " "screaming" shortly after I got it.

/ Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot #6  
In which of the four positions does the 2 springs go in the transmission cover?

/ Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot #7  
I am having a somewhat similar problem. My 1700 occasionally sticks in 4th gear. What are common thing to look for in this situation? I was planning on swapping right & left side gear shifts to see if I can move or change the problem.... That should tell me if the problem is a worn shift stick or a shuttle in the transmission right?

/ Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot #8  
In which of the four positions does the 2 springs go in the transmission cover?

Ball first in the indent cavity hole, cover on, spring in and the top bolt after the cover is secured. Can not take the detent ball out before the cover is removed. I tried it with a magnet. Ball dia is slightly larger that the hole on the cover plate.

/ Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot #9  
I am having a somewhat similar problem. My 1700 occasionally sticks in 4th gear. What are common thing to look for in this situation? I was planning on swapping right & left side gear shifts to see if I can move or change the problem.... That should tell me if the problem is a worn shift stick or a shuttle in the transmission right?

Best solution is to carry a small crescent wrench (adjustable wrench), loosen the two belts aft of the shifter handle but do not take it completely out. That adds a bit of wiggle room between spring, ball and wherever is jamming. A bit manipulation of shifter rod and the spring and the ball will fall in place, sort of like popping a dislocated arm back in to position.

JC,

/ Ford 1300 tractor Leaking oil from shifter boot #10  
Thanks JC, I will try an adjustable wrench. One more thing, in which hole does the double (2) springs go in the transmission cover?