Mowing Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910)

/ Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910) #1  

BBlocker

Tractor
Ford 3910
When I mow/bushhog long grass, the grass winds itself around the driveshaft. It's a real pain to get off, and it breaks the seal where the shaft enters the rear half of the tractor. Is there something I can do to prevent the grass from winding up? Is there a guard I can purchase to prevent it?

/ Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910) #2  
I have a 4610 and I mow tall grass regularly with it but have never had your problem. My pto has the standard guard on it the looks like an upside down "U" and is held in place with a lynch pin. I'll try to get a picture or two tomorrow and post it to show you my set up.

/ Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910) #3  
Does your driveshaft have a cover? Is it chained on or spins free? Is it the u-joints picking up the long grass? The PTO cover is really a shield so you don't get your hands caught.
Jim

/ Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910)
Here's a picture of the problem. IMG_8863.jpg

/ Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910) #5  
Is that a 4 wheel drive, drive shaft? If so, can you mow in 2 wheel drive? I bet you could build a cover for it by getting some heavy sheet metal as long as the drive shaft and wide enough to form into a half circle and bolt to both sides where a front end loader would bolt. Those holes should already be threaded. Se the 4 bolt holes, 2 at the front of the shaft and 2 half way back?

/ Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910) #6  
Mow more often and use 2wd if you can instead of 4wd. I never seen anything like that.

/ Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910) #7  
I thought the 3910 had a cover over the front drive shaft to prevent such from occurring. Was the cover removed, or am I wrong in my assumption?

/ Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910) #8  
I thought you were talking about the pto drive shaft! You obviously have a 4WD tractor. Do you have to mow in 4WD? If you do, check with a NH dealer and see if a driveshaft cover is available. Other wise you'll have to make one. My TD95D had a shaft cover on it and so I would think they were used on all 4WD tractors.

I looked on Messick's website and there is a shield for the drive shaft.

Last edited:
   / Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910) #9  
Doesn't the shaft turn in 4wd and 2wd as long as the tractor is moving?

/ Grass winding up on driveshaft (Ford 3910) #10  
I am not sure on this particular tractor, but on my tractor it doesn't.