Ford 1910 oil leaking from front diff

/ Ford 1910 oil leaking from front diff #1  

carlyla

I have a Ford 1910 manufactured in 1986 and the front differential oil has started leaking out steadily. It emerges at the 2 front wheel drive unit at the point where the top half of the unit joins the bottom half. Both are leaking, the right side more than the left. The level of oil in each of the separate front wheel drive units is not dropping.

I would appreciate some advice on what might be causing the oil leak and what my course of action should be.

Many thanks.

/ Ford 1910 oil leaking from front diff #2  
Interested in an answer also except I have a 1710. Do you think it's the front axle leaking out or the front spindle (or whatever your call the front tire oil reserve).

I have a leak too, so I checked the front axle and it was dry but my front tires fluid was full to the brim.

/ Ford 1910 oil leaking from front diff #3  
You didn't say where you live. Does your tractor sit out in hot weather? The front differentials on these tractors have no vent. When the pressure builds up inside they can push a small amount of oil out past seals. A tablespoonful of oil on a rim will look like a gallon once it collects dirt. The clue for me that you are leaking a small amount was that you said the level hasn't dropped on the dipstick. When it is hot outside or after working for awhile, pop the dipstick out and listen for escaping air. I hear it all the time on my tractor, and it seeps oil too without losing an appreciable amount. Also, be very careful to not overfill the front axle. If you don't have air space, the oil has nowhere to expand as it heats up and will blow out the seal.

/ Ford 1910 oil leaking from front diff
We have taken apart the four wheel drive units and found slight damage to the oil seals but no damage to any of the internal components - so have ordered replacement seals and will be fitting them shortly.

/ Ford 1910 oil leaking from front diff
Jinman,
I live in Dorset, England so not especially hot, 90 degrees f max on rare occasions. The oil in the front diff had dropped below the dipstick level within a few days but the oil in the reservoir on each 4 wheel drive unit remained full. Thanks for advice on the vent - or lack of.