4400 industrial hydraulic oil for 3pt

/ 4400 industrial hydraulic oil for 3pt #1  

VTPSD

Bronze Member
Tractor
ford 420 industrial with custom turbo setup, diesel converted wheel horse
I recently aquired a 4400 industrial tractor and have been trying to work out the bugs. It had a pretty nasty hydraulic leak on a harley rake that has been on the tractor for quite some time and I now suspect it is low on oil. The 3pt and remotes work just fine on level ground but when pointing up hill the 3pt lift, remotes and hydraulic pto clutch all stop working. I am hoping it is just a low level from the leak.

My question is, where is the sump for these system, and what type of oil does it require? Thank you in advance.

/ 4400 industrial hydraulic oil for 3pt
actually i think the tractor is really a ford 420, no marking on it that I can find, but I think it was sold to me as a 4400 but is really a 420.

/ 4400 industrial hydraulic oil for 3pt #3  
For starters, see if you can get the model ID off it. There should be a little flat behind (or around) where the starter mounts. It will have some numbers stamped on it. Try to snap a picture of that and we can positively ID the beast.

Now without looking or seeing more pictures, I am not sure how all the hydraulics are tied in. You mentioned when pointed uphill, you loose hydraulics. Does that include the loader too?? IF so, it would appear ALL of the hydraulics are tied in. And that appears to be the 730 loader in which the hydraulic reservoir/fill is in the vertical post of the loader frame.

Lets try to get an ID on the thing first. And some more pics. Others will likely know more than me on this issue though. Dads 4500 I am familiar with has different hydraulics, and no PTO no 3PH...

i will try to find ID on it this evening. I started to suspect it might be a 420 after I found the tag that was on the keys labeled "ford 420, yellow" I looked up some steering diagrams for the 420 and that is the exact system that my tractor has.

I have a perfect working loader at all times. The loader hydraulics appear to be completely their own system with the reservoir in the left side upright. The only hydraulics that are effected by incline are the remotes, 3pt lift and pto clutch. This makes sense since it had a very badly leaking hose on one of the remotes. It looks like i can see a level plug down by the right heel and a fill right of center on the top of the rear end. Will confirm with pictures.

/ 4400 industrial hydraulic oil for 3pt #5  
That would definataly be the fill for the rear end. Now wether it uses that for the 3PH hydraulics???

Can you see any other pumps and/or hydraulic lines NOT associated with the loader?? If so, trace them. See where the suction pump goes. If you DONT see any other lines, theres a good chance that the rear end is indeed the sump for the hydraulics...

Check it any way. If it is low, add to it. You would want to do that regardless of wether its the rear axle oil only, or if it includes the hydraulics. So if it is low, add. If the issues go away, problem solved...

there are not really any external lines, but the valve body for the remotes is bolted onto the top of the rear end and appears to be fed from there. There appears to be access panel on the right side that looks like it would be for servicing the pump. I will get pics. Interested to identify what tractor I actually have. Looking at pictures on the internet, it does look most similar to the 420.

/ 4400 industrial hydraulic oil for 3pt #7  
The 420 is newer than the 4400, but appears very similar.

Interesting though, tractor data only lists the 420 as a loader-backhoe tractor. And yours dont have a BH....

here are the pictures of the numbers on my tractor
DSCN0985_zps2c5ed742.jpg

DSCN0984_zps9919b13f.jpg

DSCN0983_zpsdea5832e.jpg

/ 4400 industrial hydraulic oil for 3pt #9  
Those are just block casting numbers.

There should be a model code somewhere. If 1974 or earlier, it would be by the starter and easy to decipher. IF 1975 or later, the I dont really know.

i might be missing it because it was painted over.