Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520

/ Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520 #1  

barryb77

Tractor
Ford 1520
Yeah I was using it to move some stuff around the yard here. Now when I let the clutch out it takes it a second or 2 to engage. It does appear to be slipping, Not sure what year my tractor is. the serial # is UH30119 that didn't show in the tractordata.
Also can someone please possibly post up the diagram for how to replace the clutch. Not new to working with the wrenches this is my first tractor I'll need to break apart it now appears.

/ Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520 #2  
Does the pedal have top play?

/ Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520
Yes it has pedal play. wasn't there when I first got on it today. I was told once that you aren't supposed to free wheel these tractors. I had backed up a hill with a heavy scraper blade in the bucket. When I was going from reverse to 1st, I had my foot on the clutch, and didn't get my foot on the brake fast enough and I coasted down the hill a lil bit. probably like 20 ft. not much at all. I drove over to where I set the scraper blade, dropped it, went to back up thats when I noticed the slop, and problem appeared.
Like I said I am new tractor owner.

/ Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520 #4  
Well, you want some free play, maybe about an inch. If you had none before, then you did what you described, I'm not sure what changed. I think the no-freewheeling warning is so you don't spin the (low) gears too fast coasting. The clutch assy is bolted to the engine and turns at engine speed.
If your TO bearing suddenly failed you'd more than likely have a can't-disengage clutch, not a slipping one. Dies that model have an inspection cover you can spy the clutch through? JC should weigh in here shortly.
Let us know.
Jim

/ Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520 #5  
Well,

We're driving back from Colorado after a week of R&R. My wife decided to drive so I was checking email and stuff. I'll try to see if I can help tomorrow. We just passed Colorado state line.

JC

PS. Hate to type on tablet.

/ Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520 #6  
if the clutch had no free play before you can try restoring that by adjusting the free play adjustment rod attached to the pedal. not sure if the 1510 and 1520 are the same?

/ Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520 #7  
Yeah I was using it to move some stuff around the yard here. Now when I let the clutch out it takes it a second or 2 to engage. It does appear to be slipping, Not sure what year my tractor is. the serial # is UH30119 that didn't show in the tractordata.
Also can someone please possibly post up the diagram for how to replace the clutch. Not new to working with the wrenches this is my first tractor I'll need to break apart it now appears.

1520 might have a dual clutch. Do you have live PTO?

JC,

After I first read these replies, I can get it to move, I backed it up the hill in 2wd, it will spin the tires. That tells me the clutch is possibly good. maybe a linkage Throw out bearing. But since this is my first tractor I am still learning how they work compared to a car or truck. Welcoming any help and suggestions.
I am not sure if it has an inspection plate. I'll look when I can.

1520 might have a dual clutch. Do you have live PTO?

JC,

I'm not sure if it has a live pto or not. Like Ive mentioned I am new to the tractor owning. I trying to learn and understand how things work. Back to the PTO. I can push the clutch in and it will stop rotating? I just hooked a bush hog to it also, and was trying it out earlier that day. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Is there a specific way to operate a Bush hog with these tractors?

/ Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520 #10  
I'm not sure if it has a live pto or not. Like Ive mentioned I am new to the tractor owning. I trying to learn and understand how things work. Back to the PTO. I can push the clutch in and it will stop rotating? I just hooked a bush hog to it also, and was trying it out earlier that day. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Is there a specific way to operate a Bush hog with these tractors?

Okay. Do this test. With tractor on , PTO engaged and what happens when you clutch half way? With live PTO clutching half way disenges transmission/locomotion. Pressing the clutch all the way should stop the PTO. Can you shift gear while I'm motion? Synchronized transmission?

Jc