Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Ford 1520

Default Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520

Yeah I was using it to move some stuff around the yard here. Now when I let the clutch out it takes it a second or 2 to engage. It does appear to be slipping, Not sure what year my tractor is. the serial # is UH30119 that didn't show in the tractordata.
    Also can someone please possibly post up the diagram for how to replace the clutch. Not new to working with the wrenches this is my first tractor I'll need to break apart it now appears.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Default Re: Think I just tore my clutch out. ford 1520

Does the pedal have top play?
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Ford 1520

Yes it has pedal play. wasn't there when I first got on it today. I was told once that you aren't supposed to free wheel these tractors. I had backed up a hill with a heavy scraper blade in the bucket. When I was going from reverse to 1st, I had my foot on the clutch, and didn't get my foot on the brake fast enough and I coasted down the hill a lil bit. probably like 20 ft. not much at all. I drove over to where I set the scraper blade, dropped it, went to back up thats when I noticed the slop, and problem appeared.
    Like I said I am new tractor owner.

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

Well, you want some free play, maybe about an inch. If you had none before, then you did what you described, I'm not sure what changed. I think the no-freewheeling warning is so you don't spin the (low) gears too fast coasting. The clutch assy is bolted to the engine and turns at engine speed.
    If your TO bearing suddenly failed you'd more than likely have a can't-disengage clutch, not a slipping one. Dies that model have an inspection cover you can spy the clutch through? JC should weigh in here shortly.
    Let us know.
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

Well,

We're driving back from Colorado after a week of R&R. My wife decided to drive so I was checking email and stuff. I'll try to see if I can help tomorrow. We just passed Colorado state line.

JC

PS. Hate to type on tablet.
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Veteran Member

if the clutch had no free play before you can try restoring that by adjusting the free play adjustment rod attached to the pedal. not sure if the 1510 and 1520 are the same?

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by barryb77 View Post
    Yeah I was using it to move some stuff around the yard here. Now when I let the clutch out it takes it a second or 2 to engage. It does appear to be slipping, Not sure what year my tractor is. the serial # is UH30119 that didn't show in the tractordata.
    Also can someone please possibly post up the diagram for how to replace the clutch. Not new to working with the wrenches this is my first tractor I'll need to break apart it now appears.
    1520 might have a dual clutch. Do you have live PTO?

JC,
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Tractor
    Ford 1520

After I first read these replies, I can get it to move, I backed it up the hill in 2wd, it will spin the tires. That tells me the clutch is possibly good. maybe a linkage Throw out bearing. But since this is my first tractor I am still learning how they work compared to a car or truck. Welcoming any help and suggestions.
    I am not sure if it has an inspection plate. I'll look when I can.

Tractor
    Ford 1520

Quote Originally Posted by JC-jetro View Post
    1520 might have a dual clutch. Do you have live PTO?

JC,
    I'm not sure if it has a live pto or not. Like Ive mentioned I am new to the tractor owning. I trying to learn and understand how things work. Back to the PTO. I can push the clutch in and it will stop rotating? I just hooked a bush hog to it also, and was trying it out earlier that day. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Is there a specific way to operate a Bush hog with these tractors?

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by barryb77 View Post

I'm not sure if it has a live pto or not. Like Ive mentioned I am new to the tractor owning. I trying to learn and understand how things work. Back to the PTO. I can push the clutch in and it will stop rotating? I just hooked a bush hog to it also, and was trying it out earlier that day. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Is there a specific way to operate a Bush hog with these tractors?
    Okay. Do this test. With tractor on , PTO engaged and what happens when you clutch half way? With live PTO clutching half way disenges transmission/locomotion. Pressing the clutch all the way should stop the PTO. Can you shift gear while I'm motion? Synchronized transmission?

Jc
    Ford 1700, 2wd.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast