1910 Thermostat

/ 1910 Thermostat #1  

sruman

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910
Two questions:

What is the thermostat temp rating?

What is the best way to clean the inside ducts for cooling the engine? The reason that I ask is that I took out the block drain valve, and it was completely clogged. I'm fearing there may be other clogs inside the block. Thoughts?

/ 1910 Thermostat
Oh, I should add that when adding water from the top of the engine, water does run out the block valve, not sure if that helps or not.

/ 1910 Thermostat #3  
The temperature is 180F to 190F, depending on the thermostat. Block valves that are unused are easily clogged over time. Your cooling system may or may not have some issues. I suspect the block valve even has blockage still in the port after you removed the petcock valve. Did you probe into the hole with something to see if it can be cleaned out? Is the tractor running? Can you remove the radiator cap while the engine is cold, start the engine, and let it heat up and watch for churning water at the radiator cap?

I don't know what you mean by adding water at the top of the engine.:confused3: Hopefully, you are not adding water at the oil fill location.:eek: If you mean at the top of the radiator, then you should see some flow from the block petcock hole if it is not blocked. If you are adding into the radiator reservoir, then I'd say you cannot expect water to come out the block. Water is drawn normally from the reservoir as the engine cools when the radiator cap is in place.

The small non-contact IR thermometers are a great aid in checking engine coolant systems. They will tell you exactly what the temperature is anywhere you shine the laser pointer. I don't know how I ever got along without one and they are cheap like this one at Harbor Freight or other places online like all these at Amazon.

/ 1910 Thermostat
Adding water to the intake where the thermostat is normally located. It is draining out of the petcock valve in the block. I have that out, and I can see inside, doesn't appear clogged or anything.
I tested the water pump by taking off the top hose, and cranking the engine (without a thermostat), and water was pumped out, so that's good.

Engine always ran fine, but the thermostat was broke and stuck in the open position.

By the way, I just bought this 1910 ford, and I'm just doing basic R&M, and I'm finding some of these things.
Thanks.

/ 1910 Thermostat #5  
Makes sense. I think you are making good progress. If the water pump does not leak, it's probably fine. My suggestion about the cheap IR thermometer is still valid. You'll find hundreds of uses for it.

/ 1910 Thermostat #6  
Adding water to the intake where the thermostat is normally located.

I let this slip by in my previous post, and I think you just mis-stated what you are doing. However, in an effort to be thorough, I have to point out that where the thermostat is located is the output rather than the intake. That may have been where you poured the water into, but normally under operation, this is where water exits the engine as hot water and goes to the top of the radiator. The intake is from the bottom of the radiator via the water pump. I'm pretty sure you knew all of this, but this morning the word "intake" caught my eye and I thought I should post to make sure you just mis-spoke.:)