ford 1920 tractor will not start/starter will not engage.

/ ford 1920 tractor will not start/starter will not engage. #1  

Tractor
Ford 1920 and kubota 5030
Traced problem to what I think is very small relay on firewall. Relay does not operate when switch is turned to start position. I disconnected relay and added a jumper in socket where (make) contacts are in circuit. Tractor will start now. Problem now is tractor will start even when in gear. need to know where to purchase this relay. Also need a electrical wiring diagram for tractor. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
   / ford 1920 tractor will not start/starter will not engage. #2  
Might not be a bad relay. Could be a bad neutral safety switch located on the gearshift under the dash. Remove the front of the cowling (between your legs) and check continuity on the switch. There are a couple of youtube videos showing removal/repair of this switch.

/ ford 1920 tractor will not start/starter will not engage.
Might not be a bad relay. Could be a bad neutral safety switch located on the gearshift under the dash. Remove the front of the cowling (between your legs) and check continuity on the switch. There are a couple of youtube videos showing removal/repair of this switch.

Thanks for suggestion. I checked neutral safety switch with ohm meter. The contacts are closed when in neutral and open when in any gear. Also checked negative ground for good contact. The relay located on firewall right above sol0noid clicks when switch is turned on. checked for contact closure with ohm meter. (good) . still will not crank until i remove relay and put jumper across contact wires. will still crank in gear with clutch out and in gear with jumper across relay contact wires. No wonder I am bald. Still need wiring diagram if any one has one available.
Thanks again.

/ ford 1920 tractor will not start/starter will not engage. #4  
You might have a bad ign switch. It controls power to the starter safety switch and starter, glow plugs and panel lights. I had to replace mine on an older 1700 model. If it is bad sometimes you can get power by turning the key on and off while you are in the seat and with the clutch in. Try if 15 or 20 times. If it makes contact the starter will turn over. If it works, replace the switch.

/ ford 1920 tractor will not start/starter will not engage. #5  
I tried to upload a pdf of the 1920 wiring diagram. I hope it worked.

/ ford 1920 tractor will not start/starter will not engage. #6  
The PDF File came out perfect. Good job, it's nice and clear.

/ ford 1920 tractor will not start/starter will not engage.
Thanks....This should help greatly. Will let you know further results.

/ ford 1920 tractor will not start/starter will not engage. #8  
Your safety start relay is part number SBA385230220. It's a substitute for SBA385230091 which is no longer available. Your relay can be bought for less than $30 at Messicks.com or Partspring.com. This is no guarantee that the relay is your problem.