TC35D- Does your PTO make noise??

/ TC35D- Does your PTO make noise?? #1  

farmacist

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC35D
I have a TC35D- 30 months old. I do not believe that I have ever activated the PTO lever unless a load was on it. Today I sat in the seat with NOTHING attached to PTO shaft and noticed that at 1500 rpm, when activated, it dragged down the engine a little and had a deep rattle or loud vibration coming from the rear of the differential. The noise would stop when I stopped the PTO and would re-start each time I activated the lever. I have used the PTO many times with no problem but never heard the noise because of the noise of the implement. Does your TC 35-40-45 PTO make noise and drag the motor down when no load on PTO? It does seem to me that it should just smootly spin. Your help will let me decide if I should take it in before my 3 year powertrain warrantee runs out. Thanks , Frank

/ TC35D- Does your PTO make noise?? #2  
It sounds to me like your output shaft bearing may have gone bad. I'd get the tractor back to my dealer before something major happens. It also could be the pto brake/clutch is
"going south." My TC45D's PTO makes no noise when engaged.

/ TC35D- Does your PTO make noise?? #3  
My TC35 is quite quiet /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.... I agree with the Jinman.

/ TC35D- Does your PTO make noise?? #4  
I would bring it in as soon as you can. It could be a couple of things causing the noise.
1. PTO Bearing
2. PTO Brake
3. PTO Clutch

/ TC35D- Does your PTO make noise??
Took my TC35D to dealer today to check out above PTO rattle at 1200rpm. Dealer says it is normal when at NO load and at low RPM's to have "gear lash" , which will go away when under load at higher RPM's. I checked out a new one on the lot and it made the same rumble or rattle as mine. thanx Frank

/ TC35D- Does your PTO make noise?? #6  
Previous post:
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( it dragged down the engine a little and had a deep rattle or loud vibration coming from the rear of the differential )</font>

Today's post:
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( rumble or rattle )</font>

I'm not trying to give you a hard time Farmacist, but sometimes it's hard to interpret the intensity of a sound without hearing it. I still don't think my PTO rattles since I've engaged it without load and then disengaged it to see how long it takes for the clutch/brake to engage. While doing this, I never heard anything. I admit that my hearing is not as good as it was 20 years ago, but low frequency noises are one thing I hear very well. However, if a new tractor sounded like yours, I'd have to say you have nothing to worry about and I'm very glad this has been a "false alarm." I'm sorry if I got you alarmed by my reaction to your first post. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ TC35D- Does your PTO make noise?? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dealer says it is normal )</font>

Nobody knows your dealer better then you. But. Here's my 2 cents worth.
I think that I would want him to take me out into the lot and prove his explanation to me. I would also ask him to put in writing that this is Normal. Then when / if something goes bad you may have some barganing power to get it fixed.
If he is unwilling to back up his statement with his signature, then I would feel alot leary about his "this noise is normal theary"

/ TC35D- Does your PTO make noise?? #8  
Mine makes that noise too.. didn't notice it until recently.. when I was trying to hook up the BB600. You almost would never hear it unless you're in idle.. and behind the tractor.. but once you know it's there.. you can hear it from the seat. I'm glad they said it was normal.. I thought I was due a service visit as well.. thank you!

/ TC35D- Does your PTO make noise?? #9  
Out of curiosity, I will check mine and report back. I have only engagd my pto a few times and have never had anything hooked up to it. I will see if it makes any noise.

/ TC35D- Does your PTO make noise?? #10  
i checked mine specifically today with the engine running at 1000 rpm and again at 1500 rpm. I couldn't hear anything but the rattling of the diesel engine. I could just detect the slightest engine speed differential when I engaged/disengaged the PTO, but I think thats due to the hydraulic "bump" as the hydraulic PTO clutch is engaged. I'm stumped as to how anyone can hear noise around the PTO. I had my thick head within a foot and all I could hear was engine. Hmm... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif