Tractor
    TN65

Default TN65 REAR AXLE PROBLEMS

WELL I SOLD MY OLD 3000 TO BUY A TN65. AT ABOUT 3HRS WHILE I WAS SHREDDING THE LEFT STUB SHAFT BROKE.IT WAS IN THE SHOP FOR TWO WEEKS.NOW AT 44HRS THE DIFF LOCK WOULDN'T ENGAGE.THE DEALER SAID I'M THE
    ONLY ONE THAT HAS HAD THIS PROMBLEM.HAS ANYONE ELSE
    HAD AXLE FAILURES WITH THE TN'S.

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

Default Re: TN65 REAR AXLE PROBLEMS

They had a recall on the diff lock. They had to pull the right rear wheel and tire and lube the internal linkage with never sieze. I tried using the search to see if I could find the post with the recall number but it wants to give me all NH posts. If I can come up with the recall number I'll check back and let you know. I haven't heard of a tendency to break axles on these but one dealer tech told me it was a possibility if the diff lock didn't disengage when you turned. Maybe that's what happened to yours?

Tractor
    TN65

THE RECALL I THINK WAS ON THE EARLY MODELS. THE DEALER TOLD ME THEY THOUGHT THE DIFF. LOCK STUCK AND THAT WHAT BROKE THE SHAFT. I COULD BELEIVE THEM
    IF I WOULD HAVE USED IT.SO I WHEN I GOT THE TRACTOR BACK. I TRIED TO ENGAGE THE LOCK AND TURN ALL IT WOULD DO IS PUSH THE FRONT WHEELS. I THINK IT WAS A DEFECTIVE SHAFT IT LOOKED LIKE IT TWISTED BEFORE IT BROKE.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 , New Holland TN75D, Hitachi UH083LC Excavator

Neither of the TN's that I have had had had either axle or differential lock problems. I have the electro-hydraulic version of the differential lock. A electricic switch on the right hand cab column.

Andy

Tractor
    NH TN55

I have a TN55 that was purchased in 2000. NH Campaign 904 was a recall to correct TN problems with the diff. lock, shift linkage and (I think) the parking brake.

Check your serial number the recall affected all TN series with a serial range from 1109042 - 1221252. They all were to be checked for the following problems Mechanical Diff Lock, Park Brake Linkage, Transmission Linkage. Hope this helps. If you want more detail email me your fax number and I will send you a copy of the campaign.

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

I have never had a axel problem. I have had my TN 65 since April of 2000 and it has had a hard life so if something was going to break, it would have by now. Let us know if you learn anything else though.

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

If it was pushing the front wheels in a turn it was engaged. Will it disengage? According to the owner's manual to disengage it you have to step on one of the brake pedals.

Tractor
    TN65

Yes it will release the serial number is not in the recall.I talked to the dealer.The metal wasn't cleaned out when the axle was replaced.That was keeping the lock from working. I don't think I want a tractor that has had metal running in the oil for about 40hrs.