TC29 4 wheel drive quit working

/ TC29 4 wheel drive quit working #1  

jammer48

Tractor
ford 4500, TN 75 S, TC 29
My 4 wheel drive quit working while mowing with finish mower. Not sure when it happened or what happened. It seems to go into 4 wheel drive. I can see the shifter working. What do I do first to try and figure out whats wrong?

/ TC29 4 wheel drive quit working #2  
Look at your driveline coming out of the front differential. There is a cover held in place with hose clamps. Loosen the clamps and slide the cover back so you can see inside. Now, jack up only one wheel off the ground (leave one wheel in firm contact with the ground). With 4wd disengaged, turn the wheel that's in the air and you should see the shaft rotating where you pulled the cover back. If it does not, then you have a problem in the front differential. Put the 4wd lever to engage. Rotate the tire again. If you can rotate the tire and the shaft turns, then your problem is in the 4wd gearbox or inside the transmission shifting mechanism. If the tire will not rotate when you are in 4wd, then 4wd is engaging as it should.

Are you sure your lever and mechanism to shift into 4wd are working properly? Look at the lever where it enters the transmission and operate it into and out of 4wd while watching the shaft turn. If nothing is bent and the lever rotates the shaft into the transmission properly, then you have an internal problem in the transmission, driveline coupling, or the front differential and the test above will tell you the major assy that is failing.

/ TC29 4 wheel drive quit working
wow excellent thanx jim I will try that today... jamie

/ TC29 4 wheel drive quit working #4  
Jammer,

There's a reason jinman has almost 20,000 posts... he gives A LOT of excellent advice.

I've been appreciating his knowledge since 2004.

Tim

Look at your driveline coming out of the front differential. There is a cover held in place with hose clamps. Loosen the clamps and slide the cover back so you can see inside. Now, jack up only one wheel off the ground (leave one wheel in firm contact with the ground). With 4wd disengaged, turn the wheel that's in the air and you should see the shaft rotating where you pulled the cover back. If it does not, then you have a problem in the front differential. Put the 4wd lever to engage. Rotate the tire again. If you can rotate the tire and the shaft turns, then your problem is in the 4wd gearbox or inside the transmission shifting mechanism. If the tire will not rotate when you are in 4wd, then 4wd is engaging as it should.

Are you sure your lever and mechanism to shift into 4wd are working properly? Look at the lever where it enters the transmission and operate it into and out of 4wd while watching the shaft turn. If nothing is bent and the lever rotates the shaft into the transmission properly, then you have an internal problem in the transmission, driveline coupling, or the front differential and the test above will tell you the major assy that is failing.

Ok jim here is what I found the shaft did not rotate in either engage or disengaged... and yes the 4 wheel drive shifter is turning the shaft from the handle down the bracket to the shaft going into the side of the transmission. Soooo based on what you told me I think the problem lies in the front differential. Now what?

/ TC29 4 wheel drive quit working #6  
If the shaft did not turn when you rotated the tire, then something is loose in the differential. It needs to be opened up. Did you hear any strange noise? There is a mating collar that can slip, but it should be visible inside the cover you moved. If you are planning on fixing it yourself, I'd say you need a Repair Manual. If you are planning to do it at a dealership, make an appointment. You could disassemble to see what you'll find, but my experience is that if you tear it apart and then take it to a shop, they are not really happy with you.

/ TC29 4 wheel drive quit working #7  
I'm not sure I have the patience to copy or scan the whole manual, but if you want any information for the front differential, just let me know. I just got a set of manuals for my Case DX33 which is basically a red TC33DA. Let me know.

I'm currently taking my tractor apart and going to have to split it for a PTO problem. If you're bored and want to follow may adventure/misadventure or cheer me on and offer some much needed encouragement, the thread is here...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/case-ih/288258-shrapnel-gear-case.html

thanx jim I didn't hear any strange noise but I was wearing noise cancelling headphones with rock-n-roll playing through them so I couldn't hear a darn thing anyway... lol.... the only way I new something was wrong, I couldn't make it up hill, that I normally could make it up... I did purchase a shop manual for the tractor but I haven't opened it yet... With the boot removed I can see the universal joint but that is all I can really see. This mating collar you refer to how do I check that. I did see quite a bit of grease but that is pretty much all I can see.

thanx pedalstomper I just purchase a service manual and I appreciate the offer. Very kind of you. And yes I will follow your project... thanx again jamie

/ TC29 4 wheel drive quit working #10  
My driveline is different from yours, but if you look at the diagram below, I think Item #34 is a collar that links the pinion shaft from the differential to the driveline shaft. If that collar is broken or out of position, it could cause the driveline to disconnect from the front differential.

TC29-front differential.jpg