TC29 won't start unless jumped

/ TC29 won't start unless jumped #1  

Ridgewalker

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC29
I recently replaced my 5 year old battery and now the tractor won't start
unless jumped. It's a manual shift TC29. The first time this happened I had the new battery replaced and
the second one is doing the same as the first. If I connect jumper cables from the battery terminals to my truck
it fires right up and runs until I shut it down.

The new batteries have 420 CCAs which is in spec according to my owners manual. The second one was load tested
at the store and they swear it is good. Any thoughts?

TIA

/ TC29 won't start unless jumped #2  
I also have a TC- 29 D and had the exact same problem...Jim ( Jinman ) is the one that got my tractor started...he kept telling me to check my battery cables ..and be sure the inside of the cable connection that goes on the battery posts was cleaned out and tight...they looked fine on the surface...but I removed them and used my battery cleaning tool and twisted it inside each battery terminal connector until they shinned ...then I put them back on the battery posts and tightened them down good....It started right up....I would have never believed that was the problem since on the outside the terminals were clean...Good Luck..

Opps, I forgot the most important part...Like Jim said the reason it starts with the Jumpers is because they are making better contact on your battery posts...that is what convinced me you are having the same problem I did...

/ TC29 won't start unless jumped #3  
Bob, it seems you've learned this lesson pretty darn well.:D Yep, the jumper cables hook to the outside of the lugs and the battery to the inside. If the inside is dirty, the battery is not connected. Using jumper cables and it working fine is a sure sign the terminal lugs need a good "inside" cleaning.

Edit: To prove it further, remove the terminals from the battery. Hook the jumper cables directly to the battery terminals and clamp the other ends on the outside of the lugs. If it starts, you need an inside cleaning.

/ TC29 won't start unless jumped #4  
If the battery clamps are NOT TIGHT on the battery terminals, corrosion builds up on the inside surface rapidly. Corrosion will form faster on the Positive Terminal (red) than the Ground Terminal. Tractors vibrate. Make sure clamps are tight after cleaning with wire brush.

I recently worked on a six year old Jeep in Iowa. Went through replacement battery in two years. Found Positive Clamp was a replacement, one size too large. Would clamp snug but not TIGHT. That was the problem. Jeep was purchased used so could not determine history of too large clamp.

/ TC29 won't start unless jumped
Finally got a chance to work over the battery terminals and the tractor fired
right up. I noticed one of them is cracking so I plan to replace both.

Thanks for the help guys!

/ TC29 won't start unless jumped #7  
Challenge us again.