Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: TC29 3 PT hitch help needed

Quote Originally Posted by redman135 View Post
    Re your pto shaft. The telescope section needs greasing, it looks dry. Also when did the universal joints get greased last?
    I did not notice that, but yeah, dry as a bone, and I bet the U joints are dry too.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    NH TL-100A with Bush Hog 5045 FEL, WR Long 3rd function, Kubota B-2710 with 72" MMM and LA 402 FEL

After you get PTO shaft cleaned up and greased you might consider replacing the yellow plastic cover around shaft. Cover keep dirt and debris out of grease and keep things and people from getting caught up in spinning shaft. I think they can be sourced thru Tractor Supply and implement dealers. You might just buy a complete new shaft with guards, chains, etc. cheap insurance

http://www.vapormatic.com/content/ne...pto-shaft.ashx
    Rick

Trying to work smarter instead of harder with Technology and Horsepower!

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

I'm of the opinion that the cover on a rotary cutter PTO shaft is a waste of money. Nobody should ever have a reason to get anywhere near to a rotating shaft on a rotary cutter. It's not like a post-hole auger or chipper where you work close to an operating shaft. I think the same way about a tiller or other piece of PTO driven equipment. It's my opinion for what it's worth. Some safety features are overkill in my estimation. The points about lubing the shaft are valid, but I can't be sure the U-joint isn't greased. I'm not sure that Ridgewalker has had the mower or tractor very long.

One thing for sure, the extendable arms on the 3PH need lots of attention. Don mentioned that the "dust cover" was missing off the left side. That is NOT a dust cover. It is a spring loaded release sleeve that operates the bolt that drops into the slot on the extendable arm section. The front of the cover has a spring under it. You press down on the front of the cover and it pivots on the front pin and raises the locking bolt out of the slot. When you release the sleeve, the spring pushes it back up and locks the extendable arm when it moves forward to the operating position. Don's left side extendable link must be locked in place or the locking bolt is loose enough to move up and down by hand. If that's the case, only gravity and weight of the bolt is holding it in place. I can see on the left arm that the front pivot pin is completely gone as is the sleeve and spring. See the illustration below.

-extenablelink-jpg
    Jim

Tractor
    NH TC29

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    I'm of the opinion that the cover on a rotary cutter PTO shaft is a waste of money. Nobody should ever have a reason to get anywhere near to a rotating shaft on a rotary cutter. It's not like a post-hole auger or chipper where you work close to an operating shaft. I think the same way about a tiller or other piece of PTO driven equipment. It's my opinion for what it's worth. Some safety features are overkill in my estimation. The points about lubing the shaft are valid, but I can't be sure the U-joint isn't greased. I'm not sure that Ridgewalker has had the mower or tractor very long.

One thing for sure, the extendable arms on the 3PH need lots of attention. Don mentioned that the "dust cover" was missing off the left side. That is NOT a dust cover. It is a spring loaded release sleeve that operates the bolt that drops into the slot on the extendable arm section. The front of the cover has a spring under it. You press down on the front of the cover and it pivots on the front pin and raises the locking bolt out of the slot. When you release the sleeve, the spring pushes it back up and locks the extendable arm when it moves forward to the operating position. Don's left side extendable link must be locked in place or the locking bolt is loose enough to move up and down by hand. If that's the case, only gravity and weight of the bolt is holding it in place. I can see on the left arm that the front pivot pin is completely gone as is the sleeve and spring. See the illustration below.

-extenablelink-jpg
    Now we're cookin' on the front burner...I am missing the springs. I couldn't figure out what held the assembly in the correct position
    and it has to be the missing springs. Thanks Jinman!

PS, I will be greasing the PTO.
    "Ride due west of the sunset, turn left at the rocky mountains."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12