TC29 3 PT hitch help needed

/ TC29 3 PT hitch help needed #1  

Ridgewalker

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC29
My Brush-hog isn't parallel with the back of my tractor and I can't figure out
what I am doing wrong. I can get it to line up but once I start cutting it
ends up running outside my right wheel on an angle.

I'm not sure if I have the hookups on correctly and would appreciate any schooling I can get.
See attached.

Thanks in advance!

Tractor.jpg

/ TC29 3 PT hitch help needed #2  
Does your tractor have stabilizers on 3 point arms? Can you take a picture looking down at arms from above?

/ TC29 3 PT hitch help needed #3  
Make sure your 3PH arm pins are not in the slotted holes. With the pins in the slotted holes, the implement can swing significantly from side to side.
Center the 'hog and put the pins in the holes that most closely line up.
Note: you 'may' have to apply a slight amount of side pressure to get one side or the other to align with a hole.

PS... I also see in your photo the arms are still slightly extended... put your implement all the way down and back up until the extensions retract and latch.
They are only made to extend for ease of hook-up and not meant to be used that way during operation.

/ TC29 3 PT hitch help needed #4  
I'll bet your blades turn CCW; therefore, the blades cut grass on the leading edge and tend to push the cutter to the right. Since they are not cutting (as much) on the rear half-arch, the mower tends to go to the right. Offset your cutter as far to the left as you can with the stabilizer pins so that it is held as far left as possible. Also, you might make sure the cutter us running level. If it leans to the right, it will make the natural right tendency worse.

One more thing to look at is how much lower your cutter is in front than in the rear. Most cutters are designed to run 1" to 2" lower in front, but if you are dipping down more, the pressure to move right will be even more. How thick the grass is and how heavy the materials will also push your mower right. Of course, having sharp blades also will make the cutter pull less to the right.

/ TC29 3 PT hitch help needed #5  
Well it looks to me that you do not have the right lower telescoping link pushed back in. Drop the cutter on the ground, to create a little resistance and reverse the tractor to click the right link back in place.. Or at least that is what I think I see.

James K0UA

/ TC29 3 PT hitch help needed #6  
Nice catch, James and 5-picker. The pin is not correct also. It may be too big to drop into the slot and lock the arm in the non-extended position. I think he has lost the bolt and replaced it with the pin. I'd suggest going back to a smaller diameter bolt.

/ TC29 3 PT hitch help needed
Thanks guys, those are new pins that I just bought, I will replace them.

Plus I didn't realize the links were not built to run extended. Add to that I am
missing a dust cover off the left side. I'll be using all your tips so "Thanks!" again.

rlgustafson if stabilizers are the pins that go into one of a series of holes connected to the
3 pt then yes.

One more question; Do I have the links in right side up? I can get the link to go into the
arm but it doesn't stay there. I guess the pin has something to do with that and having one that's too large
isn't helping.

/ TC29 3 PT hitch help needed #8  
oil and grease might be good- looks dry

/ TC29 3 PT hitch help needed #9  
The pin looks like a 5/8" pin. I'd try 1/2". If it is 1/2", I'd try 7/16" or 3/8". It has to fit easily in that slot and should be grade 5 or 8. An aircraft locking nut (nylock) on a bolt is needed to make the pin a tiny bit loose, but retain the nut. I rarely lube mine and they've worked since 2001.

/ TC29 3 PT hitch help needed #10  
Re your pto shaft. The telescope section needs greasing, it looks dry. Also when did the universal joints get greased last?