Ford 3000 vented fuel cap?

/ Ford 3000 vented fuel cap? #1  

Oldhamhunter

Tractor
Ford 3000
I've got a Ford 3000 gas tractor. Parts store sold me a fuel cap for a 3000, but is says for a diesel. I dont think its vented. Will this work? Tractor not running right now for other reasons, so I cant test it.

/ Ford 3000 vented fuel cap? #2  
Any gas cap should be vented typically unless the tank is. Post a pic or two of the cap and lets see what we can figure out

/ Ford 3000 vented fuel cap?
Here is a link to TSC's cap: Fuel Cap, Ford Diesel - Tractor Supply Online Store it seems like a sort of generic replacement but ford 3000 is listed on package, but it also says for a diesel and mine is gas. The underside of the cap gas a rubber gasket type material and when I took off the cap, it seemed like it had pressure built up??? Wasn't sure if this was right. When I bought the tractor (recently) it had a locking cap and the owner couldn't find the key, so I replaced it.

Thanks

/ Ford 3000 vented fuel cap? #4  
The underside would be what I would be concerned with. There's typically some sort of air bleed there. If it had some pressure or whatever when you pulled it off, probably not the right cap and you need something vented. That's why I typically don't do the TSC "universal" parts. They aren't as universal as they should be.

/ Ford 3000 vented fuel cap? #6  
got a pop rivit gun? got a drill bit.

drill a hole in the cap.. put in a pop rivit. choose a drill that will allow the pop rivit to rattle.. but not fall out... presto.. vented fuel cap that still prevents slosh pretty darn good.

/ Ford 3000 vented fuel cap?
Thanks Soundguy, there is no way I'd pay $73 for a gas cap.

/ Ford 3000 vented fuel cap? #8  
i wouldn't either.. :)