new holland 3045 mid pto problem

/ new holland 3045 mid pto problem #1  

duelly99

Tractor
new holland 3045
Hello, I'm having a problem with the mid pto on my 3045. I'm questioning the fact that it has 3/4 of a turn of play when it is engaged. What do you think would be the cause of this? Rear pto is solid when engaged. Thanks

/ new holland 3045 mid pto problem #2  
You say it has this play when engaged, but you really don't know that. I'm not being smart. The engagement is through the PTO clutch/brake and cannot be checked "engaged" because that would mean the the PTO is turning. In other words, the PTO is not truly 'engaged' unless the engine is running to generate hydraulic pressure for the clutch. When the rear PTO is engaged, it's a hard engagement through a drivetrain. Are you sure you are seeing a full 3/4 turn rotation? The rear PTO turns at 540 rpm and the mid PTO turns at 2000 because they have different drive gears, but they both engage off of the same PTO clutch. Because of the gear ratio, any slop in the mid PTO will probably be only 1/4 that amount on the rear PTO shaft.

Do you have noise when the Mid PTO is powering something? Are you aware that both mid and rear PTO can be engaged at the same time? You just have to select both levers before moving the modulation lever forward to engage the PTO clutch. 3/4 turn sounds like a huge amount to me. I don't have a mid-pto on my tractor, so I can't give great feedback. Surely somebody else can test theirs and tell you what they find.

/ new holland 3045 mid pto problem
Thanks for the reply and the info on the PTO mechanicals. The rotation is just short of 3/4, by 10 degrees. So lets say it has 11/16 rotation when engaged. I use a 914a belly mower with the mid PTO. I am having a noise issue with the tractor when using the mower. The noise subsides when the mower is under a heavier load. There is no noise when the rear PTO is used. If there is no slop in the rear PTO, what would be the normal rotational play in the mid PTO? Thanks

/ new holland 3045 mid pto problem #4  
I certainly think you have a problem somewhere in your geartrain. The amount of rotational slop is completely unacceptable in my opinion. Here are two diagrams from my Repair Manual. This is for the early tractors before 2004, but I think the PTO drivetrain for rear and mid PTOs has remained much the same on these tractors. That's based on looking at the parts diagrams on messicks.com. The first diagram shows power transmission to the rear PTO and the 2nd diagram shows it to the mid PTO. The mid-PTO just adds a countershaft, gears, and the drop-box with the mid-PTO stub. I do think with that much slop, you need to find the source soon before you have a catastrophic failure. However, I don't have a mid-PTO and don't know how much slop is normal. I'm sure hoping someone else chimes in with specific info. BTW: I'm going to be out of pocket for several days, so this is probably the last post I can do on your problem for at least a week.

pto04.jpg

pto05.jpg