Ford 1320 worth repairing?

/ Ford 1320 worth repairing? #1  

keepergoin

Tractor
1987 Ford 1320
Hi All, it is with great sadness that I post that my late 80's Ford 1320 needs a complete long block engine overhaul. Problem with that seems to be from my searching that parts for the shibaura engines are difficult to come by at the very least. The tractor has a FEL and backhoe and has about 2100 hours on it. I was wondering if anyone here could help me answer some questions.

1. If anyone has recently rebuilt a shibaura engine, how difficult was it finding parts (including a head) and were they outrageously expensive? I can do the work myself. Dealer wants 5500 for top end rebuild (ouch).

2. Was having issues with the transmission before engine issues where moving forward, especially once the tractor warmed up, there would be very little power, grinding, etc... I assume this fix will probably be costly as well, thoughts?

3. The implements are not in top-condition but they do work well. My hesitation is putting tons of money into the engine and transmission only to have the implements give me big problems. What is everyone's opinion of rebuilding the tractor at this stage?

4. Any guesstimates on how easy it would be to part it out or how much I can get by parting it out

COnsidering all this, what does everyone think? I am not cash strapped and COULD afford a newer used tractor but, I don't use it daily or even weekly - just like having it for when I need it so if I can keep this going 1 or 2 k that would be optimal.

Appreciate any and all help I can get!

/ Ford 1320 worth repairing? #2  
2100 hours is not much. With a rebuild you would know just what you had. You might luck out buying used. I always like to repair - if I am not buying new.
What happened to the head of your tractor?

New tractor price for the same size last time I looked was 12-14000 (with FEL) and without implements in my area. LS tractor from Korea.

I'd rebuild.

/ Ford 1320 worth repairing? #3  
I have a Ford 1720 & love it however parts are very expensive. I have never had any problems with it but the cost of a repair could possibly push me towards perhaps Kubota which is very popular with reasonably priced parts.
I would look at the big picture and access the overall condition; it would be easy to get into it for far more than it is worth.
Perhaps you should start looking to see what’s out there even if you can get yours going for 1 or 2k.
Your 1320 as a running trade-in may make sense.

90cummins

/ Ford 1320 worth repairing?
Thanks for the responses. My initial thought is once I commit to repairing it that I will end up a few thousand into it with still other issues.

What would someone suggest for pricing on a fair shape fel and backhoe off this tractor as I will probably try selling those first?

Also, I had brought it to the dealer thinking the injection pump needed to be adjusted and then they found no compression on one cylinder. They pulled the head and found all sorts of issues one being a cracked head, pistons with damage, etc... I have only owned this tractor for a few years and I bought it cheap. However, I know the previous owner flipped it twice and the engine ran away during one of those times - I imagine that had something to do with the damage.

/ Ford 1320 worth repairing? #6  
How I usually look at things. Take what tractor, item, vehicle, whatever it may be. Find out what that exact model or comparable is worth. If the cost is more lets say 50-75% than what I can get a different one for. Then it speaks for itself. New tractors are always going to be way more in cost. But decent used tractors are out there, if you have a need for another tractor. Maybe find yourself another machine that your FEL and BH will fit. Thats my .02

Yeah I am looking for a used 1320 or 1520 right now. Dealer has one with less than 500 hours on it and they want 7500 with a belly mower. I think I would need to take off the hydraulic pump, hydro manifold, brackets and all from my 1320 to get the fel and bh on it. Dealer also offered around 1k for my tractor as it sits but I doubt they would let me take the other stuff off it if they are to give me 1k.

/ Ford 1320 worth repairing? #8  
Yeah I am looking for a used 1320 or 1520 right now. Dealer has one with less than 500 hours on it and they want 7500 with a belly mower. I think I would need to take off the hydraulic pump, hydro manifold, brackets and all from my 1320 to get the fel and bh on it. Dealer also offered around 1k for my tractor as it sits but I doubt they would let me take the other stuff off it if they are to give me 1k.

I think there is your answer. If you are going to be 5k on your current tractor and still have other issues and can this one with a MMM for 2k more go that route. Swap FEL & BH over. Sell the MMM if not needed to recoup some of your out of pocket costs. Keep any parts that would fit the new tractor (alternator, etc) and then sell the old tractor if even for just scrap. I think you would end equal or maybe even a bit ahead.

/ Ford 1320 worth repairing? #9  
I think there is your answer. If you are going to be 5k on your current tractor and still have other issues and can this one with a MMM for 2k more go that route. Swap FEL & BH over. Sell the MMM if not needed to recoup some of your out of pocket costs. Keep any parts that would fit the new tractor (alternator, etc) and then sell the old tractor if even for just scrap. I think you would end equal or maybe even a bit ahead.

I agree and I 'll go one step further...forget the 1K trade off and keep your old 1320. His $7500 for the low hour 1320 (or 1520 ? ) sounds fair but maybe he will be more willing to shave off a couple hundreds from it with no trade involved and only hard cash ?

The one for sale is a 1520, forgot to clarify that. I am going on vacation for a week and I will think it over. Thanks for all the help!