Help Please My TC40DA

/ Help Please My TC40DA #1  

ChiefJay

Tractor
new holland tc40da
Hi All
my tc40da was running awesome then it developed an issue. :thumbdown: I was going along a paved road and a grinding noise started and stopped in the front end. I was in two wheel drive at the time. I started to move round bales in the field with no issues at that time I was in four wheel drive as I was going along with no load the tractor made like a clunking noise and the four wheel drive stopped working. Prior to the issue four wheel drive was hard to put in and out of gear now there seems to be no resistance at all playing with the lever. I'm totally lost here :confused: I'am way way way out of my element here any help would be great. To top the day off I blew a hydrolic line and I found out the four wheel drive didn't work when I got stuck. Yay

/ Help Please My TC40DA #2  
http://www.messicks.com/NH/60848.aspx
Front Axle and Steering, Section 04.10

Sounds like one of those bad days. Open the link above to see the parts diagram.

I'm going to guess the problem is in the front axle differential.

I don't think the final reduction gears on each front wheel would account for the zero resistance in the 4wd lever.

/ Help Please My TC40DA #3  
Another possibility is the 4wd lever and shaft are not pinned together anymore. Verify the shaft rotates when you move the lever. I have a TC40 gear, so this may be a bit different for you to see.

/ Help Please My TC40DA #4  
It sure sounds to me like the front differential. Time for a tear-down I'm afraid.

/ Help Please My TC40DA #5  
I'm not sure where the noise would come from (front or transmission) if the the 4wd was only partially engaged due to the 4wd lever slipping, then popped out out of 4wd. I've never had that happen though. If the lever pin is now completely broken, then that would account for the free lever movement. Slim chance probably.

/ Help Please My TC40DA #6  
Well, that's a quick and easy check to make, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. With the OP's description of a grinding noise while being in 2WD going down the road, I think that says the differential because the 4wd drop-box was not engaged at that time. That and the clunk/fail while later using 4wd are two hints that the problem is really differential related. I'd suggest popping the driveline off and seeing if the pinion shaft into the differential can be turned with both front wheels on the ground. If it can, the differential is toast.

/ Help Please My TC40DA
Ugh, not what I really wanted to hear. :( ok I guess time for a tear down and apart

/ Help Please My TC40DA #8  
Jay, you'll only take a big chance on making it worse if you wait. There's a chance that you only have sheared bolts or loose bolts that hold the ring gear in place. If you tackle it now, you may save yourself the big bucks. . . pay me now or pay me a bunch later syndrome.:(

/ Help Please My TC40DA #9  
Hi and welcome to TBN. Sorry to hear of your woes. What year and how many hours on your NH?
I'd do what Jinman suggests to see what is really happening. I'd also drop front end fluid into a clean container and look for any metal, shavings, grit, pieces. And for future reference, I suggest if you hear something like you did from the front end, STOP what you're doing and investigate what is wrong. You may not have averted the damage already done but continued use prior to finding the cause could render things worse.
Post back findings.

/ Help Please My TC40DA
Yay for me :thumbsup: got the tractor into the shop today and was hoping it was something easy and it was. It was the connecting sleeve for the front axle from the transmission to the front axle. So trip to dealer and thirty dollars later I'm back on the road