Loader Hydraulic Pump Making noise on TC29

/ Hydraulic Pump Making noise on TC29 #1  

tanskim

Tractor
FNH TC29
My hydraulic pump on my 2000 TC29 is making a high pitched wining noise. My hydraulic fluid was a little low (about a gallon) so I put some of Tractor Supplies Traveller brand in. The noise was still there, but the next day when it was cold, it was very very noisy. There is also some chatter when dumping the bucket down and the bucket also drops forward slowly on its own.

I have about 900 hours on it and have yet to replace the hydraulic fluid and filter, but planning to do so this weekend. However, I don't drive the hydraulics hard. Does this noise mean that the pump is going bad? Could the Traveller's brand of fluid not be compatable with the recommended 134D? How can I determine for sure what the problem is.

/ Hydraulic Pump Making noise on TC29 #2  
most times when a hydro pump whines yes its going out.does your 3pt lift still lift fast or slow.i would have the dealer check the pump.you could change the hydro oil an filters an see if that helps.

/ Hydraulic Pump Making noise on TC29
most times when a hydro pump whines yes its going out.does your 3pt lift still lift fast or slow.i would have the dealer check the pump.you could change the hydro oil an filters an see if that helps.

The lift seems to work fine, goes up and down without a problem. The following morning when it was really noisy, the bucket was slow, but as it warmed up it seamed to work ok.

/ Hydraulic Pump Making noise on TC29 #4  
Traveller Premium Transmission Fluid is compatible with the 134D. I've used it quite a bit. When you change fluid, look carefully at the big pipe going from the main hydraulic filter to the pump. Look for any connection that might be loose and drawing air. Air leaking into the hydraulics will cause the pump to cavitate and make noise. Also, keep an eye on your engine oil level. If the hydraulic pump bearing and seal go out, it could dump hydraulic fluid into the engine crankcase. So if the engine level goes above full, it's probably from the hydraulic pump. Just be sure it's your hydraulic pump making noise. You can loosen your fan belt enough that the alternator and water pump don't turn. Start the engine for a few seconds to ensure the noise is from the hydraulic pump instead of the water pump or alternator. You won't hurt anything by running the engine for a minute or two that way, but don't run it long or the engine will overheat.

/ Hydraulic Pump Making noise on TC29
Traveller Premium Transmission Fluid is compatible with the 134D. I've used it quite a bit. When you change fluid, look carefully at the big pipe going from the main hydraulic filter to the pump. Look for any connection that might be loose and drawing air. Air leaking into the hydraulics will cause the pump to cavitate and make noise. Also, keep an eye on your engine oil level. If the hydraulic pump bearing and seal go out, it could dump hydraulic fluid into the engine crankcase. So if the engine level goes above full, it's probably from the hydraulic pump. Just be sure it's your hydraulic pump making noise. You can loosen your fan belt enough that the alternator and water pump don't turn. Start the engine for a few seconds to ensure the noise is from the hydraulic pump instead of the water pump or alternator. You won't hurt anything by running the engine for a minute or two that way, but don't run it long or the engine will overheat.

Great tips. I was wondering if it could also be something other than the hydraulic pump. Now I have some methods to determine one way or the other. Another point, I do have a leak coming from a metal block that is fed from the hydraulic pump. I believe 3 lines come off of it. There are compression fittings that thread onto a threaded line that goes into this metal block. I didn't know if this is where the air leak into the system could be coming from. Other than that, I haven't noticed any other leaks. I was also told that if the filter is clogged due to rust/moisture in the system, it could be part of the problem. I have been doing some bruch clearing in bouncy terrain that could have disturbed some of this material and clogged the filter.

/ Hydraulic Pump Making noise on TC29 #6  
A high-pitched whine can also mean a restricted passage in a line.

Any chance while bush hogging you could have put a pinch/kink/bend in a line at or near the high pressure distribution block where you see the small leak?

/ Hydraulic Pump Making noise on TC29 #7  
There are compression fittings that thread onto a threaded line that goes into this metal block. I didn't know if this is where the air leak into the system could be coming from.

The block you are talking about is the high pressure distribution and diverter valve. Since it is under pressure, it's not likely you will get air into the system there. Air is normally drawn in around the big filter between the rear wheel and hydraulic reservoir and the big line running off that that goes up to the pump. The HST tractors have a "T" in that line, but if yours is a TC29 gear model, it probably has a straight through rubber boot with clamps on it (item 10 below). That's a common location for sucking air into the system since this line is under suction from the main hydraulic pump and the boot can be hit easily by debris as you mow or otherwise use your tractor.

TC29GearHydPiping.jpg