850 Overheating

/ 850 Overheating #1  

glweder

Tractor
'57 Ford 850, '86 NH 455 SL
Help! I was tilling a neighbors field and noticed my temp rising past its normal just left of center reading. It was very hot out that day so I figured I'll just watch it. It ran another 5 minutes before it approached overheating and I shut it down. I've owed the tractor 10 years and never had this problem. Checked T-Stat, cleaned radiator with air, inspected water pump (tight, fins ok)Set timing according to manual, adjusted carb.....Tractor still starts and runs fine for 15-20 minutes then creeps up toward red and I have to shut it down. I REALLY hope it's not a head gasket! More info, radiator is only a couple years old and is fine, also checked compression which is within a few pounds of spec. Tractor is not using coolant and oil is clean and coolant free. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

George

/ 850 Overheating #2  
it seems that your tractor is not overheating. first of all check your temp gauge and calibrate it. when your gauge shows high temp open the radiator cap carefully, (keep your face at out from range of radiator cap) and check the if any steam coming out from it.