Traction 4WD New Holland TN

/ 4WD New Holland TN #1  

spotts52

Tractor
New Holland
I have two problems.

1. How do I get the TN (I belive it is a 65) into 4wd? I have a lever at the left hand side of the drivers seat that I am told I just pull up? I do this and it doesn't go into 4wd, I know this as I have been in sticky mud and teh front wheels dont spin. The 4WD light is permanently lit on the dash board.

2. There is a lever just behind the accelerator pedal on the floor. What do this do please?

I don't have the workshop manual and I am a volunteer driver. Ant assistance would be appreciated.

/ 4WD New Holland TN #2  
Hi there, I don't know much about your TN but I am sure others will help with your questions. Some pictures of which lever you are meaning may help though. It may be the rear diff lock lever that you are referring to behind the accelerator?? Just guessing though as I don't know the TN.
Do you mean the 4WD light is on even if you disengage the 4WD?

/ 4WD New Holland TN #3  
Need more description of your handle/lever and location.
I have a 4020 made same place in Italy as your model.
There is a lever with a yellow ball that is the PTO engagement on the left of the seat. Down is engaged, straight up is off.
The 4WD engagement is a large T shaped handle that comes up through the deck. While moving slowly forward you pull the T handle up. It has a long travel, but not much resistance.
To disengage you push it down forcefully to the bottom. If it is up a little the dash light will stay on but the drive may not still be engaged.
The 4WD is similar to that on autos, you really don't feel it is on and it doesn't effect the feel of the steering.
It may not engage if you are stuck, the same way in a lot of autos.

/ 4WD New Holland TN
John40981 and pacerron. Thanks for your information.

The lever behind the accelerator. I refer to the accelerator that is on the floor of the cab, and not the manual one on the consul. The PTO is the yellow lever thank you for that, I have been told tha the one on teh floor is the Rear Diff lock. I will try this when I drive tomorrow.

The 4WD light is always on. I will try to push down harder and see if the light goes off; the 4WD drive is disengaged as I found out whilst in MUD on Monday. I will try again.

Thank you for all your assistance.

/ 4WD New Holland TN #5  
John40981 and pacerron. Thanks for your information.

The lever behind the accelerator. I refer to the accelerator that is on the floor of the cab, and not the manual one on the consul. The PTO is the yellow lever thank you for that, I have been told tha the one on teh floor is the Rear Diff lock. I will try this when I drive tomorrow.

The 4WD light is always on. I will try to push down harder and see if the light goes off; the 4WD drive is disengaged as I found out whilst in MUD on Monday. I will try again.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Another option is a switch button on the console for a hydraulic assisted 4WD. If you have the T handle I described you probably don't have the switch, but I don't know.

I checked my book, which was printed in France in 2008, for my CNH 4020 and it says:
" Front wheel drive engagement and disengagement is carried out by means of lever 1 ( the T handle) with the tractor moving slowly and preferably with the engine decelerating.
However, do not do it under strain. If this operation is difficult with the tractor traveling in a straight line, keep operating the handle and lightly steer, alternating directions, until control is implemented"

Since this is not your tractor the 4WD may be damaged.
If it has a FEL on it and someone has been digging dirt with the bucket while the 4WD is engaged it could be damaged. I have never had any problems with my 4WD but I purchased the tractor new so I try to take care of it.

Rear differential locks are not used much unless you are plowing or pulling something heavy and have a problem with a rear tire spinning. They are meant to be used primarily only when you are going straight and at slow speed.
Hope this gives more clarification.
Ron
Ron