Gator:: seems to have made me happy

/ Gator:: seems to have made me happy #1  

thcri

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D, 2001
As some of you remember I have been somewhat disapointed with my New Holland 914 MMM 72" It has been leaving streaks between the blades and also my front tires seem to knock the grass down and then the blade does not cut it. A few days later I have this 6" wide path when the grass decides to stand back up.

Well I decided it couldn't hurt to try a set of the Gator Blades offered through New Holland. Wow, I have this really nice groomed lawn now. I am really happy with the blades. I still have this really little streak at times but my dealer thinks I have a bearing possibly out on one of the spindles. I will take the belt off this winter and find out. But as far as the blades you can really tell the difference. The grass comes out very fine now as it chops it up much more and it has a pretty good lift so the grass that gets knocked down by my front wheels gets picked back up and mowed.

The only thing bad now is I really wished I had the 33 instead of the 29 because you can tell they suck more of the Horsepower out of the tractor. I do have to slow down mowing to prevent pulling the motor down.

But in all I am now a much happier camper.

murph

/ Gator:: seems to have made me happy #3  
Any pictures of those Gator blades.. are they heavier.. how are they different from the regular blades.. I'd like to see! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Gator:: seems to have made me happy
Yes here is some pics

Pic #1

Attachments

• 320527-DSC02397.JPG
    320527-DSC02397.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 358
Pic #2

The blade is a very heavy blade. With the curve on the back side you can tell there has to be some air movement as far as lifting the grass. Also the grass coming out of the mower is much finer. Like I said though you will have to slow down cause they do suck the Horsepower out of your tractor.

murph

Attachments

• 320530-DSC02398.JPG
    320530-DSC02398.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 253
   / Gator:: seems to have made me happy #6  
OK this is a really dumb question, but those upturned things on the top of the blades, are those for creating more suction to lift the grass or are they for cutting the grass into finer pieces while it swirls around under the deck?

I believe it is for both air flow and cutting the grass into smaller pieces. There definantly is a different sound coming from the mower now.

murph

/ Gator:: seems to have made me happy #8  
Murph.. thanks for the pictures.. I def. would like to try a set.. can I ask what they cost for the set of 3. I thought I saw something similiar at TSC.. on there replacement blade display.

I haven't got the actual bill for them yet but was quoted $14.50 for each blade. At that price I even think I will buy another set when my dealer has 10% discount week-ends going. That way I can have on and one getting sharpened or ready to go.

Murph

/ Gator:: seems to have made me happy #10  
My 84" came standard w/ the Gator blades.
Only problem is I run 4 blades and my dealer said $25 each.
I haven't been able to find them anywhere else.