Temperature Gauge Reads High

/ Temperature Gauge Reads High #1  

john4153

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case DX40
My tractor is a 2003/2004 Case DX40 with 550 hours, which is about identical to the TC40DA.

Yesterday, temp gauge went into the red while mowing. Air temp was 70°F +/-. It appeared to be a thermostat that failed closed. Replaced that. Also replaced sensor. Both removed parts tested OK on the bench. I did a resistance/temperature profile on the removed sensor. FWIW, here it is (the 210°F is an estimated value):

Capture3.PNG

Does anyone know what the resistance is supposed to be? More important, what should the voltage at the wire to the sensor relative to ground be? Is it 5V, as suggested by automotive sensors? If so, I am concerned the voltage regulator on the PCB may have failed. Is there any way to test the gauge easily before replacing it. That is, given a certain resistance to ground, what should it read? What is the usual operating temperature of the coolant? My local dealer doesn't know.

Thanks,

John

/ Temperature Gauge Reads High #2  
John,

one piece of information that is important to know is actual temperature. You need a non-contact infra red thermometer to do so. It just might be every thing is calibrated to the right or what your gauge shows is not representative of the actual temp. I have resistance info for my rig that might be completely different than yours. You might look the thread below just for some additional info.

JC,

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...179639-how-much-temp-too-much.html?highlight=

/ Temperature Gauge Reads High
I used a non-contact thermometer on the thermostat housing. It read below 82°C (thermostat setting is 82°C). After awhile, the radiator started to warm up. Engine block never exceed 80°C at any spot tested. Temp gauge was well into the red. My IR thermometer is from Harbor Freight and is, of course, affected by the emission characteristics of the target. It also has a laser guide, but I don't trust that completely. That is why I did the temperature/resistance chart using decent quality instruments (Fluka thermocouple, Beckman DVM, stirred water bath). The resistances I measured at the sensor on the tractor were consistent with the chart results.

Of course, the dealer is happy to sell me a new meter, which are currently back-ordered by CNH, but I learned long ago that after a few blind attempts to fix something, it is far better to put forth the effort to actually diagnose the problem.

John

Edit: Your cold resistance of 690 ohms was a bit higher than mine at 450 ohms or so.

/ Temperature Gauge Reads High #4  
Please don't be insulted, but are you sure your radiator screen AND the radiator are clean of debris? I have to clean the screen every time I mow, and pull it and clean the radiator fins about three times a season.

The DX 40 does not have a radiator screen. I back clean it with air and water, and it is not obstructed, except by the hydraulic radiator that is in front. Air screens to the motor compartment are free of debris. In addition, the radiator stays relatively cool by IR temperature.

John

/ Temperature Gauge Reads High #6  
John, here are the specs on your temperature sensor:

35 C (96 F) - 670 plus/minus 80 ohms
80 C (176 F) - 118 plus/minus 6 ohms
105 C (221 F) - 54.5 plus/minus 2.7 ohms
115 C (239 F) - 42 plus/minus 2.5 ohms

As you can tell from the data above, the thermistor in the sending unit is not linear. I think you are far more likely to have a defective temperature gage on your instrument panel. The gage is replaceable, but quite expensive. I'm giving you a link to my thread on testing and replacing that gage. Read it all the way through. You'll have to click on the photo links since TBN didn't have thumbnails in 2006. I suspect the gage is twice as expensive now or even more, but it will be far less than a new instrument panel.

I just looked up the parts for you:

Sending unit is about $63 p/n SBA385720101
Gage for inst. pnl is about $62 p/n 87300471

Both these parts are at Messicks.com, a TBN sponsor dealer.

/ Temperature Gauge Reads High #7  
80 to 85 C is not indicative of overheating. The thermistor has no moving part and see it difficult for it too damage. As jim said I think your issue might be with the gauge calibration.

JC,

Jim, Is the needle adjustable ? is there any possibility to bench calibrate the gauge?

/ Temperature Gauge Reads High #8  
Jim, Is the needle adjustable ? is there any possibility to bench calibrate the gauge?

You could put a dog-leg bend in the needle.:eek: That's the only adjustment. It's either go or no-go.:)

/ Temperature Gauge Reads High #9  
You could put a dog-leg bend in the needle.:eek: That's the only adjustment. It's either go or no-go.:)

That works for me :thumbsup: So you can spin out or remove the glass. I'd probably run the engine so it would be fully warmed up, take the temp reading while warming up and at about 180-185 of deg F of the T-housing bend the needle right in the middle and call it good. That's about as fine of adjustment I would need.

JC,

Ps. By the way I had a a couple of situations that the needle actually partially spunned and was lose. In one case the needle just came off that I had to put it back with a drop of crazy glue. may be that's the case here.

@jinman and JC-jetro

Thanks for the replies.

The resistance specs you have are close, but do not agree with what I found. Since my values are lower, it is not a poor contact question on my side. My meter is calibrated against precision resistors.

Mowed for about 2.5 h today with my ohmmeter attached to the temp sensor. Never went above 183°F (i.e., was never less than 43.4 ohm). Usual temp was about 181° (44.2 ohm).

Did notice one thing this morning that may point to the problem. The gauge basically measures the current of a fixed voltage through the unknown resistance of the sensor. If that "fixed" voltage is too high, then the current is falsely high and the temp reads high. I attached my voltmeter to the gauge lead and ground. Voltage started at 9.34 with switch on, but engine not running. I expected 5V, but any stable voltage would do. After a minute or so, voltage jumped to 11.24. With engine running voltage varied approximately between those values. The temp needle was also unsteady when the gauge is in the circuit. First thing to do is to check the grounding of the instrument module. Second thing will be to look for the voltage regulator and test it out. The usual suspects at this point are the ground, the capacitors on the regulator, poor solder joints (lead free solder problems? Tractor is 10 years old.), or bad regulator. Fortunately, I have parts that will probably do to replace anything I find.

BTW, I did read the excellent link you (jinman) posted on testing the meter before starting this thread.

John