Ford 4000 Ind (4500) transmission temperature sensor

/ Ford 4000 Ind (4500) transmission temperature sensor #1  

loopman

Bronze Member
Tractor
Iseki 4270, David Brown 990. Ford 4500, John Deere STX38, BHB Bobcat
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where the transmission overheat sensor (Ford 4500 with 'power-reversing' transmission) is located. Have re-wired an old machine and the wire from the dashboard warning light, around 1 meter of cable) was wrapped up behind the dash. Would like to get it working but can't for the life of me find any sensor on the gearbox area to attach it to?

(I do have a manual, but it shows the dashboard light and the attached wire, but fails to show where it runs to.)

Thanks.

/ Ford 4000 Ind (4500) transmission temperature sensor
For anyone after this info, it apparently gets fitted forward and to the underside of the transmission oil filter (just in front of your left foot when on the machine). Mine just has a blanking plug screwed in. Replacement sensor from Ford is just under $200 delivered. Wondering if I can use an off the shelf ($20-$30) oil temp sensor from auto store - they do have one that closes at 270F which I imagine would be a suitable warning limit for tranmission fluid? Anyone know what temp these power-reversing transmissions generally work at?
Perhaps even a coolant temperature cooling fan switch?

/ Ford 4000 Ind (4500) transmission temperature sensor #3  
Loopman, that is probably close temperature wise. I can look it up Saturday and let you know, but it is an idiot light that usually becomes disconnected, ignored or both.

/ Ford 4000 Ind (4500) transmission temperature sensor
Thanks Tractor Tech,

If you could look it up and let me know that would be appreciated. I am just one of those people that things like that annoy, i.e. having a light on the dash that doesn't do anything, so if you could let me know any details I would still like to get it working even if I never get to see it illuminate..
:)