bent, bent tie rod

/ bent, bent tie rod #1  

avclay

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1910 purchased with 1500 hrs and FEL
My 1910 currently sits on a friends trailer with the two front tires at opposing 90 degree angles. Not comforting, but kinda funny to look at.
I bent the tie rod on a job site and as a quick fix decided it'd be a good idea to hook a chain around it and pull on it with my truck (hey, its 50 degrees, pouring rain, and I've been laying in mud for an hour trying to figure something else out!) Believe it or not, this actually worked - well sort of. The bend came out a little but then the chain slipped and made another sharper bend towards the tire without the steering arm. Both tires pointed in the same direction though so I decided to use it awhile longer (O.K., that was just dumb - I know). Of course, I bent it again even worse and used my chain method to straighten it enough just to get it on the trailer.
So, I need to replace the tie rod (friendly dealer has one in stock) but can't budge the old one. Even if I get the lock nuts to move, I can't imagine I'd be able to get the rod out of there as bent as it is. Tried to take it off from the tie rod pivots (? where they mount to the arm from the axle - they've got a dust boot and zerk) but they look pressed.
Has anyone taken a recip saw to a tie rod? Will it do the job or should I be looking for help from someone with a torch?
Should I try and take it off the trailer? I can't do anymore "fixes" to get both tires pointed in the same direction and it looks pretty scary sitting up there with the tires pointed in opposite directions.
If I do take it off, should I keep it in 4x4 or 2x4?
Thanks and I hope you all had a better Saturday than I did!

/ bent, bent tie rod #2  
Don't know what to do now but in the future I would try a different method for bending the tie-rod. I have used a digging bar to bend my tie-rod on the tractor and even a few kicks with my boot worked for fine tuning. I use to have a Jeep CJ-7 that needed to have it's tie rods re-tweaked after every weekend of off-roading. I use to wedge the tire iron between the rod and the differential and bend it back.

I don't know why the tractor tie rods aren't a little beefier they seem real easy to bend on that hidden log or rock that's always lurking in the weeds.

/ bent, bent tie rod #3  
Avclay
The tools you need is called a pickle Fork
You should be able to rent one at your local
auto parts store
Of course the aboveis true here on the West
coast, I do not know if it called the same
in your neck of the woods. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billk

/ bent, bent tie rod #4  
Use the tie rod tool AKA pickle fork and remove it that way. If it's soft enough to bend back into place, then a sawzall may cut through it, if you need to.

/ bent, bent tie rod #5  
Are you just trying to drop the tie rod stud out of the steering arm? Take a good sized hammer and give it a healthy whack or a dozen on the side of the arm eye. I sometimes use a little downward pressure on the tie rod with a pry bar just to let it know which way it's supposed to go. I know guys that have worked the front end rack for years and don't even own a pickle fork. A lot of times you need to drop a tie rod and re-use it, a pickle fork ruins the seal and they don't sell replacements.

/ bent, bent tie rod #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know guys that have worked the front end rack for years and don't even own a pickle fork )</font>

I think that comment would have really surprised me if I hadn't spent one summer working in my brothers' garage in Anchorage where they did a lot of front end work, and I don't think I ever saw anything used but a 4 pound hammer. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ bent, bent tie rod
Thanks for the quick responses.
I wasn't trying to drop it from the stud because the rod itself is supposed to screw into the studs on each side. Thought it would be easier to take it off that way but it won't budge.
Would dropping the studs be easier than cutting the rod? I'm sure its not re-usable.

/ bent, bent tie rod #8  
How about.....Leave it on the trailer and bring it to your dealer. They can fix it right on the trailer in about 30 minutes. It will not cost that much more since you need to buy the ty rod anyway.

/ bent, bent tie rod #9  
<font color="blue"> rod itself is supposed to screw into the studs on each side </font>

That sounds like the mechanism for adjusting the toe, not the way to seperate it. Why not pick up the replacement part and use it to gage where to seperate the old one? Popping the studs out isn't hard at all /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ bent, bent tie rod
Took care of it yesterday, to the point of putting the new one on anyway. Wound up cutting the rod which was much easier than I expected (thought it would have been thicker if not solid!). With some heat, pipe wrench, and elbow grease both ends came off pretty easy and I was able to leave the locking nuts in the same spot for refrence when I put the new one on.
While cutting the rod the stud I had taken the nut and pin off of came out by itself. Now, I understand the concept of the hammering.
Thanks for all the help!