Tractor
    NH TC40DAS

Default TC40DA PTO wont shut off

Hi everyone. have a TC40Da and the PTO keeps running even though the it is in the off position. No problems with starting. Spoke with the dealer and he said something about a "PTO brake". Never heard of such a thing. He also said $1700. Hope someone has some ideas that it might be before I give him $1700

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Re: TC40DA PTO wont shut off

The PTO clutch-brake assy is actuated with hydraulic pressure when you move the lever to engage your PTO. Do you carefully feather the PTO so it engages slowly? When you move the PTO lever to OFF, do you first slow the engine to idle and then disengage the lever? Both these things are critical in long life of the PTO clutch-brake. It sounds like you normally just disengage the PTO at operating speed and the PTO brake has worn from repeated stops of thing like rotary cutters with lots of inertia. The $1700 price tag is because the tractor has to be split to replace the PTO clutch-brake. I have almost 2000 hours on my TC45D and its clutch-brake works like the day I bought it, but I am careful engaging and disengaging the PTO so to preserve my clutch-brake. It's something that should be stressed to each new owner when the tractor is delivered in my opinion. However, my dealer didn't tell me that and the operator's manual also doesn't give proper caution. Unfortunately, you are having a very expensive lesson.

Your tractor starting with the PTO engaged is a function of the lever position. You can now start with the lever disengaged, but the operating PTO is a very dangerous thing. I really encourage you to save the money to get the repair done and then use caution as I described above.
    Jim

Tractor
    NH TC40DAS

Jim, Thanks for the fast reply. I bought the tractor used so I do not know how it was treated in the past. I agree that a PTO that does not disengage is very dangerous. Tractor has about 2000 hrs on it now so what you are saying sounds like it might be the issue. I was just hoping for a linkage issue or something like that which might be a easier and cheaper fix. Right now it has a hoe on it so not so much of a problem with the PTO running but will have to get it fixed before the summer and brush hog season comes.

Tractor
    NH TC40DAS

I was speaking with someone today that has a similar tractor to mine and he told me there is a adjustment on the hydraulic clutch/brake system on the PTO. Does anyone know where this is located. Would like to check before I have it torn in half to fix.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

I've read that section of my Repair Manual several times and don't remember any adjustment except for the lever ear that presses the PTO light switch to light the instrument panel light and signal the operator safety system.(Actually the adjustment is the switch, itself.) I'll recheck my manual and get back to you tomorrow morning or later today. I can't do it this morning.
    Jim

Tractor
    Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700

With the pto engagement Lever in off position, does the PTO still turns?
    Is there any hydraulic coupling between driving shaft (input shaft) and driven (pto final shaft) when the lever is in off position?
    Some pto shaft have a threaded connection on the outside that allows for a cup to go over the pto while not in use. Do you have that? if you do then the pto can safely turn inside a cover, of course when not attached to an implement. I go thru the same procedure as Jim explained with my kubota and Owner's manual covers it just the saem. The real solution is a split and brake change. On an independent PTO that is hydraulically activated there is no access to the brake externally.

JC,
    Ford 1700, 2wd.
    Kubota MX-4700DT, Gear transmission with LA 884 loader, Q/A and HD bucket.
    60" Woods Rotary Cutter, home made (3-pt boom and a Row Hipper) ,King Kutter( 5 ft Tiller,Middle Buster,Single Row Cultivator,Carry-all, 5 ft blade, 6 ft Landscaping Rake ,30" Dirt Scoop and a 4'x4' Drag Harrow)

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

Okay, after checking my manual, here is what I have to report. The only adjustment on the PTO hydraulic valve is its relief pressure. On a TC40D/DA tractor, that relief pressure is set to 260 psi. This pressure has nothing to do with the PTO releasing because the valve only applies pressure when the PTO is engaged. When the PTO lever is moved to off, only lubrication flow goes to to the clutch and the brake engages to stop the PTO. Now, if your valve is not rotating to the fully off position, you could be leaking pressurized fluid past the valve into the clutch just enough to hold it engaged. This is a dangerous situation if it is happening because reduced pressure will allow the PTO clutch to wear out if there is a load on it like a rotary cutter. Just turning the PTO stub with nothing attached probably won't cause wear, but it's not a good situation.

If you want to see the PTO hydraulic valve and gain access to the port for pressure testing. You first have to remove the complete seat assembly. Below the seat slide base, there should be a square cutout in the blue platform. I say "should" because some of the later tractors seem to have eliminated that cutout. Below the cutout you'll see the drop rate knob shaft and below that the PTO valve and shaft coming in from the lever. You might want to remove the rollpin from the lever and manually rotate the valve to on/off to make sure it is fully rotating with the lever. Sometimes the lever can be bent and not fully rotate to off even though it has moved to the back of the slot to the off position.
    Jim

Silver Member

Does the PTO stay engaged or is it simply freewheeling because the brake is non-functional? If it is simply freewheeling you may have a annoying but livable situation. If it is only freewheeling then it should not produce enough torque to turn most implements when disengaged. The freewheeling could be annoying because you will probably have to stop the engine to connect a PTO shaft. While inconvenient, it may save a difficult and expensive repair.
    TC 40D 17LA loader