TC33D fuel line blocked - how much fuel should come out of the fuel line when Open?

/ TC33D fuel line blocked - how much fuel should come out of the fuel line when Open? #1  

peteh007

Tractor
tc33
I have a confusing situation with my TC33DA boomer. I ran it out of fuel by mistake - into the yellow. It stopped. I fueled up to a full tank. Cranked. Got air in my system!!. I took off the filter bowl, dumped the fuel (perhaps water) out of it. I bled the system down to the injectors. Cranked again - and the Tractor fired up but very rough - no happy. It ran for about 3 mins.. then stopped. As if it ran out of fuel. Confused.. In trying to trace back, I ended up taking the fuel bowl off again.. and opened the O-C valve. It dripped fuel .. but very slowly. Not a gush. Is this right? Shouldn't it pour fuel with the bowl off and the O-C Valve Open? If it should pour fuel I suppose i have a blocked fuel line? Perhaps with gunk and sediment that accumulated at the bottom of the tank when i ran it so low.. Is my thinking right? Any one know of a way to clear a fuel line or tank.... it looks like a big deal to get at the fuel tank .. or instead, is there a solenoid-valve in line between the tank and the filter bowl that may be Off?? Any help would be real great right now.. I'm stuck.

/ TC33D fuel line blocked - how much fuel should come out of the fuel line when Open? #2  
I read your other posts but I think this has a better subject line for others to search so I'm answering here.

I'm pretty sure my fuel flows freely when I do filter changes and I've only had to use the bleed screw on top of the pump to clear the air after changing. It does sound like you may have an obstruction in your tank.
Why not turn off the fuel, remove the line from the injection pump, and push a little air back to the tank (open the valve). I would be very careful to only use a couple PSI here and look for bubbles in the tank. Then see what the fuel flow is like after this.

/ TC33D fuel line blocked - how much fuel should come out of the fuel line when Open?
Many thanks Larry, yes i posted in the wrong spot I think.. before this.

OK, so you think I should get a reasonable flow of fuel dropping through my fuel filter housing.. when i open the valve and have removed the filter itself..? That's good to know!! Thanks!!
So, I'll do as you say.. and see if i can blow some air back into the tank... if it is blocked, and i have gunk in my tank,.. I guess i can try to drain the tank and flush it somehow.... ?

/ TC33D fuel line blocked - how much fuel should come out of the fuel line when Open? #4  
I have a confusing situation with my TC33DA boomer. I ran it out of fuel by mistake - into the yellow. It stopped. I fueled up to a full tank. Cranked. Got air in my system!!. I took off the filter bowl, dumped the fuel (perhaps water) out of it. I bled the system down to the injectors. Cranked again - and the Tractor fired up but very rough - no happy. It ran for about 3 mins.. then stopped. As if it ran out of fuel. Confused.. In trying to trace back, I ended up taking the fuel bowl off again.. and opened the O-C valve. It dripped fuel .. but very slowly. Not a gush. Is this right? Shouldn't it pour fuel with the bowl off and the O-C Valve Open? If it should pour fuel I suppose i have a blocked fuel line? Perhaps with gunk and sediment that accumulated at the bottom of the tank when i ran it so low.. Is my thinking right? Any one know of a way to clear a fuel line or tank.... it looks like a big deal to get at the fuel tank .. or instead, is there a solenoid-valve in line between the tank and the filter bowl that may be Off?? Any help would be real great right now.. I'm stuck.

Removing the fuel supply line to the filter and turning on the tank valve should result in full fuel flow from the line (gushin' like a cow peein' on a flat rock!). Dribbling or intermitency is an indication of a plugged strainer on the tank outlet or a plugged tank vent. You may not have to remove the tank. Instead, remove the line and the tank valve and try to clear the clog with a small wire. You can blow back with compressed air to get you going but if you have some crap and corruption in the tank (not uncommon), it will plug again.

Condensation is a real problem for diesel fuel tanks especially on tractors that are not used regularly. This condensate can then harbor bacteria that will eventually cause a snotty looking substance to form at the water- fuel interface where the bacteria live. To minimize condesation try to keep your tank full. If this is your problem, you can also buy some biocide fuel additives that that can help prevent this.

/ TC33D fuel line blocked - how much fuel should come out of the fuel line when Open? #5  
There is no valve between the tank and filter on the 33D Jerry, that's why I recommended blowing air from the other side of the filter. Then he could shut it off if fuel did flow as it should.
As for treating fuel, that's an excellent recommendation. I use additives in my 40gl storage tank every time I fill it. It's a steel tank that takes months to use up, especially in the winter. I also use a filter that has a water separator before it goes in the tractor.

/ TC33D fuel line blocked - how much fuel should come out of the fuel line when Open? #6  
I have the same problem with my TC-35 and this thread has been very helpful. I had a jelly-like substance in my empty fuel sediment bowl. I cleaned it out, but had no fuel through the inlet line. I blew out the line until I heard it bubbling in the fuel tank, but I still don't get a full flow of fuel. While I can see the fuel supply line coming out of the bottom of the tank in very tight quarters, I couldn't figure out how to clean the fuel tank screen. I got this tractor used and haven't put 50 hrs on it yet, but it needs some TLC. I'm trying to decide how much I can do and when I need more professional assistance. Does the tank need to be emptied and removed to clean the screen?

/ TC33D fuel line blocked - how much fuel should come out of the fuel line when Open? #7  
There is no valve between the tank and filter on the 33D Jerry, that's why I recommended blowing air from the other side of the filter. Then he could shut it off if fuel did flow as it should.
As for treating fuel, that's an excellent recommendation. I use additives in my 40gl storage tank every time I fill it. It's a steel tank that takes months to use up, especially in the winter. I also use a filter that has a water separator before it goes in the tractor.

Since it doesn't have a tank valve (Is there a fuel shut off ahead of the filter?), I would remove the tank fitting and then use a small wire to work the crap and corruption out of the tank bottom, collecting any fuel in a suitable container. usually taking the tank out is usually a big job but I'm not familiar with tht partuicular model so maybe it's easier.Blowing the crud back into the tank will get you going again but it's only a matter of time til it clogs again. Some people have also found crud within filter housing ahead of the filter. The fuel delivery system on these machines is pretty simple so persistance in finding the blockage and then preventing it from occuring in the future is the course of action I would recommend.

Last edited:
   / TC33D fuel line blocked - how much fuel should come out of the fuel line when Open? #8  
I just went through this exact same situation. Turns out the electric fuel pump gave up trying to suck all that gunk through a water trap and a filter. New fuel pump exposed another problem: The fuel pickup had a strainer on the end that was also clogged. (third filter) This caused the PLASTIC fuel line tank feed hose to crack so it sucked air if the tank was not full. My gauge would indicate 3/4 full but the motor ran out of fuel.

Pulled both tanks (F-935) new fuel drop lines new electric fuel pump and we is back in bidness.

/ TC33D fuel line blocked - how much fuel should come out of the fuel line when Open? #9  
I'm making progress, but haven't fixed the problem. I had a fuel flow problem initially on my New Holland TC-55 with little to no fuel flow into the strainer bowl. Now I've got a full fuel flow to the the strainer bowl. I've got fuel at both the fuel pump inlet and outlet lines, but I don't have fuel at the injector manifold. I've loosened the bleed bolt, but no fuel. I've turned the engine over and over, but still no fuel. I've loosened to bolt to where the o-ring is visible and is lifted off the fitting. I shouldn't have to take the bolt completely out, should I? Short of removing the fuel line between the pump and the manifold which is in very tight confines (and I wonder if I can even get it back on), is there something else I should do? Or is it time to call in a diesel mechanic?