Ballast box / weight

/ Ballast box / weight #1  

JC-jetro

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700
Hi Gents,

I'm seeking some opinions here. I rigged what you see down below as part of a ballast box for my MX-4700. It is exactly 24" from pin shoulder to pin shoulder, and with the pins installed make perfect size to lift it with my " Not so quick" HF quick attach hitch. I was planning to make a box (form) out of plywood that is 24" wide, may be 24" tall and 24" or so (depending how much weight I need) and then have it filled with concrete. with the contraption burried in concrete and pins sticking out of the sides. I'll have a few rebars inside and a lift hook in the middle on top. That should weight around 1200 lbs. I can also make the box out of 3/8" old trench plate (much more difficult to cut and weld) but it will be at least 200 lbs heavier, say 1400 lbs. I rather work the plywood that trench plate.

What kind of weight do you guys use and think is appropriate. I do have a HD bucket that weighs around 400 lbs and the loader itself about 1300 lbs. Lift capacity at the bucket pivot point is around 2400 lbs.

JC,

/ Ballast box / weight #2  
I like it. Make something to carry a chainsaw and stuff.

/ Ballast box / weight
I like it. Make something to carry a chainsaw and stuff.

Murph,

I was planning to accessorizing it to but leaving a piece of 4" round PVC to carry a chain, pry bar and stuff.

JC,

/ Ballast box / weight #4  
I built mine for my B series out of a plastic 55 gal drum, the steel frame is mostly inside surrounded by concrete.

I filled it to the top and then had to shovel out wet concrete until the 3ph would lift it. Ended up with about 3/4 of a barrel.

theres pics over on OTT

/ Ballast box / weight #5  
I built mine for my B series out of a plastic 55 gal drum, the steel frame is mostly inside surrounded by concrete.

I filled it to the top and then had to shovel out wet concrete until the 3ph would lift it. Ended up with about 3/4 of a barrel.

theres pics over on OTT

What does it weigh?

/ Ballast box / weight #6  
I made this wt box from an old 3.5 cu ft refrigerator. Just used the outer shell and filled with concrete and the attaching points sticking up. The only pic is when it was fresh concrete and was adding some dry to the top. It weighs 450-475 lbs.

Attachments

• wt box.jpg
    wt box.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 2,719
   / Ballast box / weight
Wow, I wish my weld beads came out that smooth? Will you adopt me? ;)

ha ha, I'm showing the good ones and let the bad one buried in concrete for a very very long time. I had a blob and weld spatters on the right pin location till I realized the valve on the shielding gas bottle was off.:eek: I failed to show that:D

JC,

/ Ballast box / weight #10  
That will feel like a heavy tail on your tractor. I had one on a similar size old Massey and it planted the rear nicely for snow plowing. I did set it up so the weight was borne by the frame mount for the backhoe so the 3-point wasn't holding it up all the time and would recommend that. Lets see it finished!
Jim