Some TLC for a TC35D

/ Some TLC for a TC35D #1  

paccorti

Gold Member
Tractor
TC35D with 16LA Loader
I've had my Class III Boomer (TC35D) for about 13 years now; I'm just shy of 1,500 hrs. Mostly I do mowing with a rear discharge mover but I also move heavy wood pallets with my loader, plow snow, grade our road, drag the fields, etc (the 16LA is a BEAST). Anyway, little things here and there have stopped working over the years and this past weekend I told myself to make her like she's brand new.

Problem 1 the seat.

At the time (year ~2000) the Class III Boomer seats was one of the most comfy seats around; lots of travel up and down back and forth and it even swivels! But over the years mine felt more and more sticky (like it would compress to a position and just stay there) plus the fore and aft travel was binding. Time to take this puppy apart. One thing I noticed is that I had used white grease over the years to lube the seat. In retrospect this didn't seem to work so well. The white grease dried into a kind of "gum" and really bound up the seat travel and adjustments.

Pic #1 Notice these sliders (they allow forward backward travel of the seat). The one on the top has some pins where the lower one does not (there are a total of 4 sliders). The pins allow you to adjust the play from left to right. Be sure to use the pinned sliders on the same side otherwise you'll likely bind the seat. I cleaned everything with carb cleaner to remove all of the old grease.

Pic #2 Even with light tension on the springs you'll still need a clamp to create enough room to reinstall the stoppers.

Pic #3 When I reinstalled my sliders I flipped them over so the smooth part is down; I figured this would make it easier to slide the seat fore-aft. I could have buffed or cleaned the scratched side too.

Pic #4 Installed back on the tractor. You'll have to lean forward so be careful not to tweak your back (the assembly is heavier than it looks). While the seat is removed maybe check the top of your transmission/rear diff for grease, loose bolts etc.

Pic #5 Fully installed. The seat is like new now. Very easy to adjust back and forth and the travel/shock absorption is back to new like.

Pic #6 My turtle rabbit switch got broke (looks suspiciously at wife who used tractor last). New one installed.

Pic #7 Long ago the tabs on my toplink locking ring got sheared off. This is a major PIA because I use the locking ring all the time and now I need a wrench to adjust the length of the top link (and I always forget the wrench when I'm out in the field). New one installed here; no more tools necessary. More carb cleaner to get off the old grease.

Not shown. On the 3pt height adjustment lever there is a small screw knob that can be set at a particular height. Mine had rusted and could no longer turn so I replaced that too.

A few parting thoughts. I'll never grease the top link again. The old grease never gets expelled and it just hardens to a gum making it difficult to adjust the length of the top link. A little WD40 now and then should take care of any rust/lubrication. I'll also use WD40 on the seat vs white grease (no more gumming up the travel).

It's very easy for me to look longingly at new tractors; but the fact of the matter is my TC35D has been very reliable and does every single thing I ask it to do. Plus she still looks good.

Peter

Attachments

• 538.jpg
    538.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 537.jpg
    537.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 246
  • 535.jpg
    535.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 533.jpg
    533.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 531.jpg
    531.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 530.jpg
    530.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 528.jpg
    528.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 563.jpg
    563.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 565.jpg
    565.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 312
   / Some TLC for a TC35D #2  
Thanks for the update. I have a tc40D and did know that you can get the seat with arm rests. Its good to know that thing s are still going well at 1300 hrs. I'm at about 850 and, like you, have found that this tractor is a pleasure to operate.

/ Some TLC for a TC35D #3  
Nice looking tractor! My 2004 TC35D is about to to turn over 2800 hrs. so I'm sure yours will last a long time. Mine has been used commercially, and while its had its share of problems (all of which are documented here on TBN), it was never designed for what I use it for. It's a tough unit.

/ Some TLC for a TC35D
Hey RD it's nice to see that the TC35D has served you so well. With regards to your FWD front pinion (problems) do you use 4WD much or not really? I barely use 4WD except in snow or digging out my pond. I've read your other threads and I completely get that a bigger machine would be nicer sometimes. OTOH you get a lot done with that TC35D. I like to grade our community gravel road (and I think I'm pretty good) but you're in a whole other league of skill than me! I thought your comment about getting into and out of a AC cab might kill you was pretty funny. Sorry that one of your operators abused your machine. That would annoy the **** out of me. You can get so much done if you just treat a machine decently. I remember years ago my neighbor would really freak me out. His method of plowing snow was to back up a few hundred feet and slam into the pile at high speed with his loader! I couldn't even watch. Besides abusing the machine I thought he was going to kill himself.

Peter

/ Some TLC for a TC35D #5  
Yep Peter, I've put the little blue tractor though the wringer and back a few times lol.

I would guess that I've used 4wd for 95% or more of the total hours on the tractor, with a lot of loader work. If I would have caught the driveline coupler noise the first time it spun, I'm sure that I could've saved the pinion splines. I wasn't wearing earplugs that day and didn't notice it over the noise of the tractor and hydro whine. My dealer is welding (and plug welding) the coupler to the pinion shaft tomorrow. If I ever break that, I'll have to replace both the pinion and ring gears as a matched set. That's $650 for the r&p plus any additional parts plus labor.

/ Some TLC for a TC35D #6  
Peter, you've been a member of TBN longer than I have. You joined in 2000 and I joined in early 2001. Of course, you aren't as long-winded as I am, so we don't hear from you very often. The seat on my tractor has always been less than perfect for adjusting front-to-rear. When both my wife and I were operating the tractor, I had to keep the slides lubed up so she could adjust it for her. After a couple of times where fuse #2 blew on her when she tried to start the tractor, she told me it didn't like her and she wasn't going to use it anymore.:D After that, I put in the resetting CB, but she still didn't trust it.:rolleyes: So, now I'm the only one who operates the tractor and the seat is never adjusted.

I've had to replace the steering wheel tilt adjustment cylinder and I never use the height adjustment. If you keep your tractor indoors, that tilt cylinder may last forever. Once I replaced that original weak joystick, I no longer have problems with that. I did have problems with my temperature gage, but that is probably from leaving the tractor parked outside all the time. All my other levers and switches work perfectly.

I consider the condition of my 5' and 6' loader buckets a point of pride. Despite working them hard, I've never bent any part of the buckets. I did have some welds in the back of one bucket crack, but rewelded them easily. They have paint scraped off, but it's easy to see they have not been abused. I saw one bucket on a 2-year old tractor at my dealer's shop that looked like it had been used for a battering ram. There was not a single straight piece of metal on that bucket. I'm glad I never had to watch that owner operate his tractor.

/ Some TLC for a TC35D
Good to see you again Jinman! I'm like a comet; my interests carry me all over the place but I always come back. Remember when you walked me thru that B plate repair some years ago in the middle of those huge snowstorms here in the east? What a PIA that was. You 'da man when it comes to the repairs/diagnosis. NH should call you for suggestions on the new models. BTW did you ever get your loader sleeved? I didn't but I still think about it. Recently I've been investigating composite PTFE bushings. Basically they are a self lubricating bushing that could be press fit into our loaders and should massively tighten up the loader. Depending on the manufacturer they have a compressive strength of around 20 kpsi (sliding) and 30 kpsi static. Here is one I'm looking at CJ Composite Bearings | FCJ Bearings | Precision Bearing. These come 1.25 ID and at 1/16 inch wall thickness are smaller than the NH sleeves so even if this didn't work I could have the loader machined for the larger NH bushing/sleeve.

How do you like the LB? That must be fun.

Did you notice my homemade loader fork mounts? (actually I just designed them; a very capable welder built them)

Peter

/ Some TLC for a TC35D #8  
i like the roof and spot light set up. it has a curve does snow slide off if left outside? got a foot of snow here last night i just have trash bag covering seat and dash after i replace my starter thats next on my list to do. undecited if i going to buy one or make it

/ Some TLC for a TC35D #9  
Peter, thanks for the info on the bushings. Since I bought my TLB, I don't use the TC45D for a lot of heavy loader work. Doing fine work and scraping would sure be easier with tight bushings. I got rid of my toothbar when I bought the TLB too. I always use the backhoe for digging and wanted to go back to a smooth cutting and spreading with the regular edge. I sold my toothbar to my neighbor who was thrilled to get it for his TC35DA.

/ Some TLC for a TC35D #10  
Whooooo-Hoooooo !! I'm Back, ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaa !!

Took me a while, as I changed e-mail addresses and could no longer log in. (Forgot password):confused:

Thanks for the pics Peter. I need to do the same thing with mine.....fix up a few things. I really would like to have your roof and rear lights....WOW does that look slick & functional !! Sure would make blowing snow easier.

That seat looks awesome....that must have put you back quite a bit if you got it from New Holland. I still remember guys years back quoting prices of $750 .... YIKES !! My leather on my seat is starting to crack and actually come apart.

My tractor is 2001 vintage and currently has approx. 550 hours so am still doing pretty good from a usage stand-point. I am a little bum'ed though, your Tractor looks better than mine. :eek:

Thanks for the bushing idea. My loader is also a little on the loose side. Will have to consider when it gets worse over time. Now I know there may at least be something that can be done about it.

Re-read your thread......that's not a new seat ?? If not, my GOD, how did you keep it looking like that ?? Mine's battered & bruised.

Anyways, glad to be back on the forum.

Vic