battery terminal corrosion

/ battery terminal corrosion
Am I missing something? I just went to www.optimabatteries.com and looked for a model 51...no luck. Where do I find this elusive model 51. This isn't like area 51 is it?

/ battery terminal corrosion #12  
Go to this link and page down to the OPTIMA Deep Cycle Battery Specs.

/ battery terminal corrosion #13  
A tractor doesn't really need a deep cycle battery, but that's the only type Optima makes in a model 51 right now. It's a new model. I assume they will make a red top (starting battery) model 51 in the future. I put a model 51 deep cycle on my TC33D and it works very well. No more acid damage.

The only problem with a deep cycle battery is they cost more. Deep cycle batteries are designed to deliver power over extended durations. Starting batteries are designed to deliver high power in short bursts. My model 51 deep cycle seems to have plenty of cranking power for my TC33D.

Well I figure I need a sealed or maintenance free battery, but I don't need an Optima (because of the price). I went to my local Pep Boys and they offered a model 51 generic with 500 CCA. The thing that scared me was it still had caps on the top. I afraid the thing will act just like the old battery. The guy behind the counter said that it sounds like the tractor is charging it too much and cooking the battery. Any thoughts? Anybody know of a sealed battery besides Optima gels?

/ battery terminal corrosion #15  
Just check the voltage across the battery with the tractor running. Mine is 14.6 volts. You should be okay if you are under 15 volts.

The charging systems do seem to run a bit high on these tractors, but the bouncing around will splash acid up on the vents and then be forced out as the battery off-gases during charging. Standard "Sealed" and "Maintenance Free" batteries do have vents and you will have the same problems.

I think you would be much better off with an Optima. A gel cell battery would probably do just fine, but I think you will find the cost about as much as an Optima battery (Optima batteries are actually different than a gel cell batteries).

/ battery terminal corrosion #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anybody know of a sealed battery besides Optima gels? )</font>

2 years ago I got an O'Reilly special. It was very inexpensive (my dealer bought it for me anyway) and lasted until I traded my tractor. I got absolutely zero corrosion or spattering.

Right now I'm looking for one for my new TC35 for my dealer to buy me. So far, I can't find a 10" long battery with hold down lugs low on the ends.

/ battery terminal corrosion #17  
I took delivery of a 33D a few weeks ago, and thanks to the TBN forum I knew to check the battery after the first 2 hours of operation. Sure enough, the battery had sloshed acid all over, which I doused with baking soda and water, but not before it killed the hood latch, which is now soaking in penetrating oil. I cannot believe New Holland is too dumb to quit selling thier Boomers with these batteries. The dealer is replacing the battery with a sealed unit. The ACDelco part number for this battery is 51R-5YR (the 5YR means 5 year warranty). NAPA number is 5051, which is what I got, and it fits OK.

What is the size of your AC Delco battery and how much does it cost? From some other post I got a stock battery size of 8.8 L x 5.25 W x 8.63 H (I have a TC25D).

/ battery terminal corrosion #19  
Be curious to see if a sealed unit will do the trick. As others point out, the sealed units still have vents, you just can't open the battery top to look at them or otherwise get at the caps. Since lowering the electrolyte and turning the battery around so the caps are more to the tractor front, I've not had any more problems. My hood latch didn't corrode, but the radiator, battery tray area, bolts, brackets, and some of the hydraulic lines did, all replaced on NH's nickel. And that was over a year and a half ago. I guess they still haven't learned! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ battery terminal corrosion #20  
The NAPA battery I got measures about 9" long; 4 3/4" wide (stock was about 1/2" wider); and 8" tall; rated at 450 CCA at zero degrees, and has the terminals on the same side as the stock battery. List price was $82, I paid $55.