battery terminal corrosion

/ battery terminal corrosion #51  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks Mike we will give Optima a call )</font>

I just don't get all the Optima raves. Unless I'm missing something, any AGM battery functions identically to Optima. Why Optima? Because they cost 30-40% more than other AGM batteries? Or is it those cool looking round cell compartments? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey PineRidge, If you find an Optima (or any other group 24 AGM battery) with mounting brackets, please let me know. I don't want to weld or bolt a battery frame on to a brand new tractor.

/ battery terminal corrosion #52  
<font color="blue"> spent most of the day cleaning up the acid/rust mess that the original battery made and after I paint it I don't want to be going through this scenerio again in the near future. </font>

I'd try to get your dealer to replace those componets rather than you just cleaning them up. I'd hate to see your machine fail a year after the warranty is up. Worth a call to the service manager to discuss it anyway...

/ battery terminal corrosion #53  
<font color="blue"> Unless I'm missing something, any AGM battery functions identically to Optima. Why Optima? </font>
Do you have a source for AGM batteries that will fit in a Class II and a Class III Boomer?

/ battery terminal corrosion #54  
Have_Blue I'm going to break out the stick welder and attach a couple of short pieces of angle iron to support the J rods.

I am sure your battery configuration is quite similar. If you don't wish to weld on a new machine some stout bungee cords should work quite well in keeping the battery where it belongs.

I'll attach a couple of pictures once I'm finished.

/ battery terminal corrosion #55  
The dealer replaced mine with NAPA's sealed battery. Here is a picture of it with the bracket he fabricated.

Mark

Attachments

• 337092-batteryrepair.JPG
    337092-batteryrepair.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 220
   / battery terminal corrosion #56  
'nother.
Mark

Attachments

• 337094-batteryrepair2.JPG
    337094-batteryrepair2.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 180
   / battery terminal corrosion #57  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do you have a source for AGM batteries that will fit in a Class II and a Class III Boomer? )</font>

No, I thought you did. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All seriousness aside, I can't find any 10" battery with mounting brackets molded into the battery case.

If I could find a battery that I could bolt on, my dealer would pay me for it.

I'm tempted to get an inexpensive Concorde or other AGM battery and make a custom mountig frame for it.

/ battery terminal corrosion #58  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 'nother. Mark )</font>

Hey Mark, that's a nice bracket you made. I like the way it uses the existing hold down stove bolts. The wide strap instead of a "J" bolt should make the bracket and battery stable without sitting in a snug frame. I will try to cook up something similar without welding. I don't have a welder just now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ battery terminal corrosion #59  
The Class II Boomers utilize;

- 2 pieces of 1" x 1" angle iron
- 2 J bolts
- 2 holes

One piece of angle iron is attached right in front of the radiator and serves and a 'back stop' for the battery.

The other piece of angle iron has a hole in each end for anchoring the threaded end of the J bolt. The hooked end of the J bolt slips into a hole drilled in a vertical tab (one on each side of the battery) attached to the steel tray the battery sits on. However, I imagine a simple hole drilled in the tray, without the vertical tab could work, too.

Here's a picture that shows the angle of the J bolts and the piece of angle iron that secures the top of the battery. The 'back stop' is covered by the leaves! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

337123-PC180002.jpg

Attachments

• 337123-PC180002.jpg
    337123-PC180002.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 114
   / battery terminal corrosion #60  
Have_blue I spent a couple of hours today after ordering the optima battery reworking my battery tray. I tried to keep it as simple as I could and yet still give the new battery the support that I believe that it needed. I temporarily tacked the piece of angle iron on the original base pan so that I might check the fit with the new battery before I finish and paint the project. I would expect to see the battery shipped via UPS within about 3 days. At that point I'll snap a couple of pictures, maybe it will help you.

By the way when I was picking up oil at my local Auto Zone today I spotted Optima there also. I just might have saved myself a 3-day wait if I would have known that before placing my order online…….