battery terminal corrosion

/ battery terminal corrosion #1  

kpk

Bronze Member
I have a 2001 TC25D and have noticed the battery terminals keep corroding. I wire brushed them twice and the last time I sprayed them with battery terminal cleaner and protector. It lasted for awhile, but now I notice the same thing is happening again. One terminal has white corrosion and the other is pink. The terminals and cable ends are really starting to get eaten away. Does anyone else have this problem? If so how did you fix it?

/ battery terminal corrosion #2  
Hey,wait a minute,this sounds familiar,hmmmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ battery terminal corrosion #3  
Check this thread. Been there, done that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ battery terminal corrosion #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a 2001 TC25D and have noticed the battery terminals keep corroding. )</font>

It's a "rough service" battery I assume. They're gassy and make more acid fumes than standard batteries.

I made my dealer buy me a SLA battery (sealed lead acid)and hood latch when my TC29 was brand new. It made a mess while still in the sales yard. No leaks, spills, or corrosion for the 2 years I have owned it.

SLA batteries are not as good as standard or rough service batteries, but small tractors are not hard to start. SLA batteries are cheap, the tractor is not. I would rather have a battery that only lasts 2-3 years that protects the tractor.

/ battery terminal corrosion #5  
I've tried the spray protectors.. but have actually had better results with two different 'jurry-rigs'. One was to clean both connections well.. and then hit it real good with a cheap glossy spray paint.. like red or yellow. My ford aerostar and lincoln car did the corosion thing once a month.. now there are no problems. On my traccors, I apply a liberal smear of grease.. and rub it around good... de-waters the area too.

Have seen no signs of corrosion on the greased ones.. very little in cracks inthe paint on the painted ones.

Here is something to think about... and this is why I like the grease method the best...

Remember back to high school chemistry.. when you studdied potasium and lithium.. those are the metals that react violently with water... i.e. 'burn'.. etc. Remember that they kept the metal samples in a glass jar completely submerged in... kerosene.. ( good ole' petroleum ).

Soundguy

/ battery terminal corrosion #6  
kpk, FWIW, I tried cleaning the terminals and coating them. I tried grease/petroleum jelly then a commerical spray. Nothing worked until I took the steps outlined in the thread link I posted earlier.

Note: when I had this problem, Optima did not make a battery that would fit in the Class II tractor. Now they do. When my current battery needs replacing, I will get an Optima.

I think have blue has described the problem well and why installing a SLA resolves the problem. Whatever you do, don't wait to deal with it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ battery terminal corrosion #7  
I always thought the battery problems were with the class III Boomers, but from this post and a couple new ones in the John Deere owning section, I see it crosses model and brand boundaries.
Mark

/ battery terminal corrosion
MikePa,
Do you know the correct Optima battery model number to fit my TC25D? After reading through these replies and the ones you suggested in your post it seems there are two problems. The size and the reverse terminal issue.

/ battery terminal corrosion #10  
<font color="blue">Do you know the correct Optima battery model number to fit my TC25D?</font>
Model 51