TC45DA stalls, loping idle

/ TC45DA stalls, loping idle #1  

dgeesaman

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
A couple months ago, when the weather turned cooler, I noticed that my TC45DA (840 hrs) idle would dip and catch itself when I started the engine. The idle would dip like that until the engine was fully warmed up. After a good warmup, the idle was solid at 1000 when the throttle was backed down.

Today I did some plowing. It's been our coldest day of the year, around 15F. Not heavy load, and I was using low gear. The engine stalled several times and most times it would not immediately restart. When it was giving me trouble it seemed to help when I'd keep the throttle set to give around 2000 or 2200. But then it was fine for a while and stalled one more time before I was done. I also noticed that the throttle control was not rock solid - if I set throttle at 2000 the engine speed would drift down toward 1800 after a bit.

So, any takers? Is the stalling likely to be the same problem as the weak throttle and idle control?

Thanks,

David

/ TC45DA stalls, loping idle #2  
The first thing I would do is check your fuel filter for icing or gelled fuel. Change out that fuel filter and maybe add some Diesel 911 fuel treatment. To me your problem seems to be related to cold temperatures where the fuel components stay cold even after the engine heats up. The fuel filter and tank on our Class III machines is far away from engine heat and subject to icing/gelling problems even when the engine is warm.

/ TC45DA stalls, loping idle
I removed the fuel filter bowl and cleaned it out. I didn't see any water and the fuel looked uniformly clear. There were some dark deposits in the bottom of the bowl but it didn't appear to be going anywhere or causing trouble. It's gone in either case. After bleeding the bowl and restarting it did run, and I repeated the whole process. Just running it in neutral in the garage it seems to be better but the RPM is not rock steady with throttle setting like it was all summer.

I don't have a new fuel filter on hand but I'll get one next week.

If the new filter doesn't solve it, I'll check in again. Thanks,

David

/ TC45DA stalls, loping idle #4  
There were some dark deposits in the bottom of the bowl but it didn't appear to be going anywhere or causing trouble.
Might be algae. If so, add a biocide to your fuel. I add an anti-gel (PowerService) and a biocide (Racor) to my 5 gallon containers every time I fill them.

/ TC45DA stalls, loping idle #5  
I also noticed that the throttle control was not rock solid - if I set throttle at 2000 the engine speed would drift down toward 1800 after a bit.

David
There is a friction nut on the throttle handle pivot(item 1 in attached picture) that you can get to through the dash. I believe it's a 18mm but I am not sure of the size remove the 2 Phillips screws that hold the dash in remove and set it to the side, you can then get the box end on the nut and tighten it to your liking. That should stop the rpm from dropping off over time. Had to do this a couple of times with our TC45DA.
Thorttle.JPG

/ TC45DA stalls, loping idle #6  
When this last happened to me I had gel in the fuel line (upstream of the fuel filter). If you suspect this, pull the fuel line off the filter housing and check that you get good fuel flow. In my case I had to snake a wire up the fuel line to clear the gel out. Ever since then I've learned how sensitive diesel is to cold weather and I add an additive now. What I don't know is if you add additive to a fuel tank will it clear any deposits in the fuel line (it's still a good idea though).

Peter

/ TC45DA stalls, loping idle #7  
What I don't know is if you add additive to a fuel tank will it clear any deposits in the fuel line (it's still a good idea though).

Products like Power Service Diesel 911 claim to do this. I say claimed, because I've never used them.

/ TC45DA stalls, loping idle #8  
I had my TC40D stall while blowing snow. It wouldn't restart. It turned out that the fuel cap vent had iced up. It took a lot or bleeding to get going again. Something for you northerners to watch for.

/ TC45DA stalls, loping idle
Well today I was at TSC and they had Power Service Diesel additive. It's not the "911" stuff but probably similar:
Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement® + Cetane Boost, 80 oz. - Tractor Supply Co.

Added a splash to the 5g already in my tank and tried to get it going. It suffered and moaned for a good 15min, stalled several times, but after a while it started running well. Not sure if it was a bit of air from cleaning the filter, getting rid of the messy fuel in the lines, engine getting fully warmed up, or the additivized fuel finally getting to the engine. But after all that ugliness, it actually held throttle nice and steady for the first time in a few weeks. I will run it again when I go back out to feed the horses, to see if it's all gone.

I had checked the fuel cap vent and my throttle lever is not slipping, so it makes sense that I'm enjoying a fuel supply issue.

Thanks for the support. Now is not the season to be without tractor.

/ TC45DA stalls, loping idle #10  
Products like Power Service Diesel 911 claim to do this. I say claimed, because I've never used them.

Yep 911 will clear a gelled filter if you can get the machine to run long enough to circulate the product.