PowerStar T4.75 Electrical Question

/ PowerStar T4.75 Electrical Question #1  

inane2

Silver Member
Tractor
NH T4.75 Powerstar, Kubota KX161-3 & SVL75-2
Good evening guys,

Working on a 2012 NH PowerStar T4.75 tractor. There is a factory option for a little over $50 (retail) that adds an extra 12V power outlet in the lower right dash as pictured (pic taken through right door opening):

Opening is simply covered by a rubber plug:

I got on NH's part diagrams, located the outlet and picked it up for about $10:

I was kind of expecting this to be a "plug and play" type mod. Did some digging around in the dash and didn't find the connector for the extra outlet. I'm limited on my search because there are 10 HVAC vents and the duct work is kinda in the way. Checked my owner's manual and it only shows 1 fuse to protect what I'm assuming would be both outlets.

Talked with my dealer but the service manual for the T4.75 is outdated and the electrical diagrams are somewhat hard to interpret. I'm very familiar with using electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manuals but the T4 manual was hard for my to navigate. (I'll save my beef with NH over poor customer support and resources for this tractor for another post!) :)

I've looked over the wire harnesses on NH parts website as well. I can't imagine their being two different cab / dash harnesses based on if the tractor has the extra outlet or not.

I can hard wire this outlet but if the factory wiring is there, I'd prefer to use it. I want to install this outlet because it's in a convenient spot if your needing 12V out in the field and the tractor is parked.

Any fellow TBN members have any input or advice on hunting down the OEM connector?

Thanks!

/ PowerStar T4.75 Electrical Question #2  
aaah! that's what that plug is there for! I am pretty sure mine has that rubber plug in it, but I don't think that both lighter plugs should run on the same fuse, as you half you amperage on each socket. So by rights it should be wired separately into the fuse panel. I would suspect you have to run your own wire into it.

/ PowerStar T4.75 Electrical Question
Hey DieselMonk!

Thanks for the reply. I agree about protecting the circuits separately. I checked my owner's manual and only seen one location for an outlet fuse. But the owner's manual was the first edition and is much older than the tractor itself and it overall pretty weak.

I hope you are enjoying your T4.75. I really enjoy the cab layout. NH really goofed this tractor up in the NA market. It's kind of like the tractor was a work in progress. They kept changing it up as the released models. Oddly enough, you can get on fastline or tractorhouse and find a bunch of low hour PowerStars that have been traded back in already. I'm actually on my second PowerStar.

I've bought some T4.75 literature on eBay from your neck of the woods and it looks like the ISO version has done much better.

/ PowerStar T4.75 Electrical Question #4  
believe it or not, but this is also my 2nd power star. Anyway, it is perfect for me and love it. Got the cab, AC, air seat, elec. 4wd, wheel fenders, the long shaft on the back for 3pt hitch outside raise and lower, 540E Pto, and 12x12.

Thanks Dieselmonk! Wow, another 2nd T4 owner. Outside of you and I, I know two other PowerStar owners that are on their second as well.

I know another fellow that is going to trade his T4 in because the warranty is about up and it has plagued him with little problems over and over. He will be trading up to a bigger T4, probably a T4.95.

The tractor is a great fit for me and I love the cab. I've just been really let down by CNH's support and their knowledge of this product. At the last two NFMS, the NH guys couldn't really provide any details about the T4 and seemed like they didn't want to talk about it. Seems like it's the white buffalo of tractors. NH's literature on their website or at the dealers is still severely outdated. My dealer has been outstanding but they can only do as much as CNH will let them. But with that being said, I couldn't ask for a better dealer.

Mine puked a tranny seal the FIRST night in my shop and made a mess everywhere. Parts were on back order and was expected to take 60 - 90 days to get what was needed. I finally came away with another T4 which was a brand spanking new one. My original was a new, last year model. These Powerstars have made leaps and bounds of improvements with each serial number break, much like a work in progress.

If I can ask, what kind of issues did you run into on your original tractor?

/ PowerStar T4.75 Electrical Question #6  
I had a thread about it here. My transmission was grinding bad during shifts. Once it was in gear, it was fine. Anyway, the NH rep and the dealer called me up, bought the tractor back and gave me a nicer one with very little $$$ to pay, as I wanted the 540E PTO. All in all, I gave them the difference for the option I didn't have before and they gave me a brand new tractor again. The new tractor behaves as it should and never had a bit of problem since I got it and I am very happy with it.

/ PowerStar T4.75 Electrical Question #7  
Have u guys ever serviced your t4.75 ? I changed oil today and filter was a pain to get to w loader on. Removed side panel and for the life of me can't get it to line back up correctly. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hey Troopdog. I knew when I was buying this tractor that servicing it was going to be a PITA but I loved the cab too much to let that stop me. I've only serviced mine once with the second service coming up soon. I actually took my loader off for the service. While it made it somewhat easier, I won't be doing that again.

I took both side panels off my tractor and left them off so unfortunately I can't help with your question.

After replacing the main fuel filter, tractor wouldn't think about starting. I primed the filter like crazy but still ended up bleeding the first 3 injectors to get it to fire.

It seems at the moment that CNH has the oil, primary fuel and secondary fuel filters locked up. You can get the inner and outer air and the hydraulic filters aftermarket though. I used a Baldwin on the hydraulics.

Not a very fun service at all!