Oil & Fuel low oil operation damage

/ low oil operation damage #1  

daniel1833

Tractor
1974 ford 3000
hi everyone, brand new here. I have a ford 3000 tractor mid 70s model. the oil level that i thought was ok because it was touching stick was not enough considering it turned out to be one gallon low. the question is when i drove it up the hill to my house it began to smoke out of the oil filler tube at the bottom. immeadiately shut down and filled up oil ( thats how i knew how low) now when i crank it it was a little stiff to start the first time but notr now. the tractor makes a sqeek sound when i shut it off. any ideas to what i should investigate...top or bottom

/ low oil operation damage #2  
Well, you should have still had 4 quarts or so in the crankcase, so it's doubtful you uncovered the pickup unless the hill is really extreme. However, being that the oil was that low, it was probably completely broken down and doing very little to protect the bearings.

/ low oil operation damage #3  
Another thing to consider is that in an older machine the dipstick may not be the original, and you may have just overfilled it. Done this myself once in a borrowed dodge dart...

Drain it and measure what comes out.

/ low oil operation damage
the incline was probably 30 percent. i hit a stick at the bottom of my land which bent the oil filter i shut it down then. went and got new filter and put it on. at that point i checked the level.

/ low oil operation damage #5  
A 30% grade is unfortunately well beyond the design of most oiling systems unless they are specifically designed for that type of operation.

so what damage could occur under those conditions. it cranks and runs but it will begin chirping like dry metal. could my oil pump be damaged or broken valve springs any ideas thanks by the way for your infrmation. that incline is not where i work with it just the pathway to travel home

/ low oil operation damage #7  
A 30% grade is unfortunately well beyond the design of most oiling systems unless they are specifically designed for that type of operation.

Correct!! Bull dozers skid steers and chain saws are great for being able to pump their oil at different angles even severe. I had a 1961 ford 601 work master that would suffer from hills even being a few quarts low. Very unfortunate but I was young at the time. My dad taught me that if it was on the stick it was good to go on that tractor. Well at a few quarts low I experienced my very first sight of ZERO oil pressure on a gauge. Very alarming on your first time. That tractor was made for 20 w 50, it would get gasoline in the engine oil, it would get 5 w 30 in the winter and well..... the main bearings were quite worn out. That tractor taught me a lot about gasoline engined and equipment opperation/ upkeep at a young age.

In fact I look at all engines very differently now and maintain my engines per half quart low on engine oil but never overfill. That tractor was the perfect what to do and what not to do

/ low oil operation damage #8  
Sounds like you may have spun a bearing or two. Drop the current oil into a clean container and send a sample for oil analysis to a lab. Stop running it till you know the results. Tear down based on the analysis.
Grade of drive is largely irrelevant. Whatever damage is done is just that, regardless of how.

im definately not running it anymore. i hauled it to my buddies down the street where he has an area i can work on it. im hoping i can repair the damage. ive been told the motor is unrepairable to a fairly easy and inexpensive fix.

/ low oil operation damage #10  
Can you drop the pan and look for tell tale signs in the pan and around crank shaft journal from the bottom without further dis assembly. I have replaced friction bearings on the crankshaft without engine removal on a car many years ago while in college.

JC,

im definately not running it anymore. i hauled it to my buddies down the street where he has an area i can work on it. im hoping i can repair the damage. i've have been told the motor is unrepairable to a fairly easy and inexpensive fix.