TC 40 DA fuel gauge question

/ TC 40 DA fuel gauge question #1  

kartingdad

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
My 2004 tractor gauge will only read 3/4 full when fuel is coming out the filler cap (Which is better than reading 1/4 full when out) . Wonder if it's the sending unit or the dash gauge? Has any one ever had the unit out of the tank and what does it look like? Thanks Don

/ TC 40 DA fuel gauge question #2  
I replaced my sending unit and the gas gauge on my international,it always read full till i a wire and grounded to the fender.

/ TC 40 DA fuel gauge question #3  
My gauge reads full when it is really full- like all the way up to the little holes in the neck (vents I assume). I never trust the gauge for accurate reading- I just open the cap and peek in!

/ TC 40 DA fuel gauge question #4  
Several reports of NH40 fuel gauges not reading correctly. Mine doesn't, has never been right. Supposedly caused by the float rubbing on the inside of the tank and causing an erratic reading. After learning the hard way by running out of fuel and having to bleed the air out of the injector pump line to get restarted, I just keep an extra 5 gallon jug of diesel and fill up when I think its about 1/2 way down.

/ TC 40 DA fuel gauge question #5  
Check the resistance of the wire from the float to ground (disconnect before testing). It should be around 33 ohms when the tank is full. If it looks okay, ground the wire and see if the gage goes to full. If not, the gage needs replacement. 255 ohms is the reading when the tank is empty.